White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 AM
johnr1note johnr1note is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 500
Default Anyone listening to WGN Radio last night?

I didn't get to tune into any of the game last night until I was in my car, late, and it was the 9th inning. So all I heard was the 9th.

I couldn't believe Santo's antics.

Its one thing to be a cheerleader for your team. I think most of us have heard Santo's blatherings over the success or lack thereof of the Cubs. It goes beyond being a "homer" type announcer. Hawk Harrelson is a "homer." But at least Hawk is an announcer -- he's a professional. What Santo does is completely unprofessional.

But he took it to a new level in the 9th inning last night. When Valverde came in as the closer for the D-backs, Ron began a verbal onslaught. For all practical purposes, Ron Santo was telling the audience that he hated Valverde. He agreed that he was good, but that he was a "hot dog," and a "weasel," and basically accused him of cheating with the way he delivers a baseball to the plate. He harped on this for the first two batters, and declared that nothing would make him happier than to put a hot dog like Valverde in his place, and to beat him.

I was unaware of there being any "bad blood" between the D-backs and Cubs, and particularly with Valverde. I just thought Santo was over the line on this. Every now and then, you'll hear an announcer get into it about a player who is a rival, but its either low key and with a modicum of respect (Ed Farmer does this), or its in light of an incident, like the Barrett/AJ fight, or when Tori Hunter bulldozed our catcher a few years back.

I just thought Santo went way too far, and was extremely unprofessional. Did anyone else listen in?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 AM
D. TODD D. TODD is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: East Chicago, In.
Posts: 2,133
Default

Farmer goes nuts on Bonds and others, and as you stated Hawk is as big a homer as they come. If Santo hates Velverde and his antics go ahead and rip him. Valverde IS a major hot dog with annoying antics, but no more then Zambrano for Santo's beloved Cub, so he does come off quite hypercritical with this outrage.
__________________
2005: My perfect year of Champions. Tarheels & WHITE SOX!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2007, 11:05 AM
SOXPHILE SOXPHILE is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northwest Suburbs
Posts: 3,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. TODD View Post
Farmer goes nuts on Bonds and others, and as you stated Hawk is as big a homer as they come. If Santo hates Velverde and his antics go ahead and rip him. Valverde IS a major hot dog with annoying antics, but no more then Zambrano for Santo's beloved Cub, so he does come off quite hypercritical with this outrage.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't like Velverde doing that garbage either. But if the wigged wearing one is going to go off like that on the guy, me thinks he should maybe, possibly take a lil' looksee at the antics of the fat Jackass that started last night for his beloved, stupid, little team. Or how abouts casting a critical eye towards Ramirez, who stands at the plate and admires his doubles off the wall before he begins running. Or Soriano and his "cute" little hops right before he catches a fly ball.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
rdwj rdwj is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 3,599
Default

I think it's funny that a clown that was known for leaping into the air and tapping his heals together after every win would bash someone for being a hot dog.
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic4721_4.gif
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 AM
PatK PatK is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago/Highland, IN
Posts: 2,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj View Post
I think it's funny that a clown that was known for leaping into the air and tapping his heals together after every win would bash someone for being a hot dog.
Ironic, isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2007, 12:19 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj View Post
I think it's funny that a clown that was known for leaping into the air and tapping his heals together after every win would bash someone for being a hot dog.
I was thinking the same thing as I read the initial post in this thread.

Early in the decade-century-millennium when I would listen to Cubs games on my car radio sometimes when driving in Wisconsin, I used to hear Santo talk about how much he hated Kendall the Pirates catcher. Ron Santo is a bitter old man who, essentially, is a loser. He was a loser as a player. Now he can't get into the Hall of Fame.

Ed Farmer, when I listened to him, came off as a South Side punk. Ron Santo comes off as a bitter old man.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Lefty34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I absolutely despise Ron Santo on the air. When he isn't talking to about his Chevy truck or This Old Cub or making his incessant pleas to be admitted to the Hall of Fame, he just sits in silence and loses track of what is going on in the game. He offers no real commentary during the game other than to occasionally ask Pat Hughes what happened on the last play because he was too busy dosing off to thoughts of heel-clicking that will never again be possible for him. I really just cannot take a man seriously who, on Mother's Day, bashes and shuns the use of pink bats and wristbands, then goes on to plug his own diabetes foundation.

Ron Santo, you legless bag of crap, take your Chevy truck and your burning, second-rate toupee and get off the air.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 PM
tebman's Avatar
tebman tebman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bolingbrook
Posts: 3,574
Blog Entries: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty34 View Post
I absolutely despise Ron Santo on the air. When he isn't talking to about his Chevy truck or This Old Cub or making his incessant pleas to be admitted to the Hall of Fame, he just sits in silence and loses track of what is going on in the game. He offers no real commentary during the game other than to occasionally ask Pat Hughes what happened on the last play because he was too busy dosing off to thoughts of heel-clicking that will never again be possible for him. I really just cannot take a man seriously who, on Mother's Day, bashes and shuns the use of pink bats and wristbands, then goes on to plug his own diabetes foundation.
WGN keeps him on there, of course, because he's a Cub museum piece that's a component of their overall marketing plan. Hughes is the genuine announcer, and though he's not my cup of tea with his tromBONE deLIVery, he's a pro who can tell you what's going on in the game. If Santo was any other guy there is no way he'd be put behind a microphone.

I don't have the article handy, but McDonough, the marketing guy who runs the Cubs, was recently quoted as saying that the reason the Cubs have been so commercially successful was because of decades-long consistency: the same uniforms, the same radio station, the same TV station, the same ballpark/neighborhood identification, etc. Santo is one of those consistent things associated with the Cubs, no matter how embarrassingly bad he can be on the air.
__________________
- tebman
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Risk Risk is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northwest Suburbs
Posts: 1,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj View Post
I think it's funny that a clown that was known for leaping into the air and tapping his heals together after every win would bash someone for being a hot dog.
My father isn't really into sports, but I will always remember what he said to me with regards to Santo

Risk (circa 1984): Dad, do you think Ron Santo should be in the HOF?

Risk's Dad: Son, I don't know, but Andy, never forget this..."Ron Santo is an *******, always has been, always will be..."

Risk
__________________
I had no intention of quitting anymore than pulling my eyelids off-Dave Mustaine, 2001

"Is minic a ghearr teanga duine a scornach"-(Celtic)
"it is often that a person's tongue cut his throat"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
PatK PatK is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago/Highland, IN
Posts: 2,054
Default

Why the hell would you listen to the Cubs radio broadcast?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
DickAllen72 DickAllen72 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj View Post
I think it's funny that a clown that was known for leaping into the air and tapping his heals together after every win would bash someone for being a hot dog.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Elvisfan1977 Elvisfan1977 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Grange, IL
Posts: 98
Default

What I love about this thread so much is that Cub fans would have a heart attack if they read some of the things said about Santo here. To them there is no negativity. It's a peachy world with Ron. Even female Cub fans don't see what a hypocrite he is, even afer the comments he made on Mother's Day. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, and I can gauruntee you she wouldn't appreciate those comments after what she went through. She also wouldn't waste the time to stoop down to his level either. Nor will I.

This thread has been a great read!
__________________
Quote:
See Ya In Vegas Baby!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Viva Medias B's Viva Medias B's is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palos Park, IL
Posts: 12,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan1977 View Post
What I love about this thread so much is that Cub fans would have a heart attack if they read some of the things said about Santo here. To them there is no negativity. It's a peachy world with Ron. Even female Cub fans don't see what a hypocrite he is, even afer the comments he made on Mother's Day. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, and I can gauruntee you she wouldn't appreciate those comments after what she went through. She also wouldn't waste the time to stoop down to his level either. Nor will I.

This thread has been a great read!
What comments were those?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:42 PM
soxinem1 soxinem1 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Born and raised on the SW Side.....
Posts: 5,091
Default

During the 2003 NLDS Santo was ripping Robert Fick, who was playing for ATL at the time. Then he just all of a sudden he cuts off Pat Hughes and says 'God is he UGLY!' about four times in a row. Then he sat and *****ed about the HOF thing.

True, I dispise Fick as much as anyone, but why did Santo take it to such a low level. Who the hell is he, Tom Cruise? He's pretty ugly himself.

He should be more embarassed with that **** rug he wears. That thiing looks like it's about to hiss at you and take a bite out of your arm!

Is a HOF'er supposed to be such a cry-baby? You' think being an ex-player he could ad some better insight to the broadcast, but having him there is just a waste of air space.

He is also a professional drunk, so feeling sorry for his diabetes does not really matter to me. He had it since he was a kid, and he is a lush to this day.

As a player, he was not really known as a good teammate, especially with rookies.

Santo has evolved into a total joke. I hope he never gets in.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:48 PM
AZChiSoxFan AZChiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,269
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxinem1 View Post
During the 2003 NLDS Santo was ripping Robert Fick, who was playing for ATL at the time. Then he just all of a sudden he cuts off Pat Hughes and says 'God is he UGLY!' about four times in a row. Then he sat and *****ed about the HOF thing.

True, I dispise Fick as much as anyone, but why did Santo take it to such a low level. Who the hell is he, Tom Cruise? He's pretty ugly himself.

He should be more embarassed with that **** rug he wears. That thiing looks like it's about to hiss at you and take a bite out of your arm!

Is a HOF'er supposed to be such a cry-baby? You' think being an ex-player he could ad some better insight to the broadcast, but having him there is just a waste of air space.

He is also a professional drunk, so feeling sorry for his diabetes does not really matter to me. He had it since he was a kid, and he is a lush to this day.

As a player, he was not really known as a good teammate, especially with rookies.

Santo has evolved into a total joke. I hope he never gets in.


Dude, that's hilarious. You've got me rollin'!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.