White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2005, 01:02 AM
WSI Personality

Default Listened to the Score after the game...

And listened to a caller who was obviously a Cub fan call in and notice that because Scott Posednik has no power, we should trade him. Not only that, he suggest we trade him to the Cubs for Corey Patterson!

Do it Kenny!

Old 06-20-2005, 01:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

I over heard someone talking at the game on Friday night, saying "Scott Podsednik sucks. Seriously, he doesn't even have any HR's."

I would have loved to turn around, slap him around, and go into the extremely easy explanation (to us, anyway) on why hes wrong, but I just ignored it. I still cant believe people are that stupid.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisox003
I over heard someone talking at the game on Friday night, saying "Scott Podsednik sucks. Seriously, he doesn't even have any HR's."

I would have loved to turn around, slap him around, and go into the extremely easy explanation (to us, anyway) on why hes wrong, but I just ignored it. I still cant believe people are that stupid.
Meh...someone on this very board was suggesting last week that Podsednik was not worthy of all-star consideration because he has no power. Some people just don't get that there are other tools that need to be valued in this game.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehose13
Meh...someone on this very board was suggesting last week that Podsednik was not worthy of all-star consideration because he has no power. Some people just don't get that there are other tools that need to be valued in this game.
I was wondering about this myself. I acually wrote an e-mail to Hawk on Friday about it when they showed the game here. How many runs scored and stolen bases do you need to balance out not having great AVG/HR/RBI when it comes to all-star/mvp considerations?

"I've thought about opening a bottle of champagne and pouring it on my teammates' heads. I don't care about my stats, just as long as we win. That gets us closer to my goal." C. Politte
Old 06-20-2005, 02:13 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehose13
Some people just don't get that there are other tools that need to be valued in this game.
NO..You're wrong!!!!!! Dingers are all that matters. Chicks dig the long ball. Runs scored without a homer shouldn't even count! Seriously! That's it. Sammy and Big Mac saved baseball; could they have saved baseball with stolen bases?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-20-2005, 01:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

You were probably best to ignore it. not worth getting into an arguement for.

Though it is amazingly dumb, Lance Johnson didn't have a homerun all through the 93 season and very few would ever say he sucked, though he did hit one in the playoffs if I recall.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

These are the people that Carl Everett put in the 99% of baseball fans!!
Old 06-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
And listened to a caller who was obviously a Cub fan call in and notice that because Scott Posednik has no power, we should trade him. Not only that, he suggest we trade him to the Cubs for Corey Patterson!

Do it Kenny!
My buddy and I were talking at Saturday's game about Podsednik's home run total. We both had the same opinion that it doesn't bother us in the least. In fact, that number pleases me since I know that he's not trying to mash the ball.

Reading these boards in the offseason, some Brewer fan here said that his 2004 was quite worse than his 2003 in BA because he changed his approach at the plate to hit more fly balls. Obviously, if he has 0 home runs, he's not trying to mash the ball, rather find gaps in the infield and use his speed to beat out hits.

I love a well-balanced team. Each man in the order has a job to do, and with the exception of Crede, each man is successful in his duty.

Cubs fans are so jealous of our Scott Podsednik because he is what the Cubs wanted Corey Patterson to play like. Stubborn, selfish Patterson doesn't really have an identity of the type of player he is. Podsednik knows what he needs to do to help his team win; Lou Brock Jr. tries to be something he's not at the expense of his team.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
Reading these boards in the offseason, some Brewer fan here said that his 2004 was quite worse than his 2003 in BA because he changed his approach at the plate to hit more fly balls. Obviously, if he has 0 home runs, he's not trying to mash the ball, rather find gaps in the infield and use his speed to beat out hits.
I don't know if you were referring to my reports on Podsednik in the offseason, but I was telling people that he was trying too hard to do everything last year in Milwaukee and was swinging for the fences. I didn't think that he would do that with the Sox line up and that his BA and OBP would improve. It's nice to see that he read my post and listened to me.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:04 PM
WSI Regular

I think that having a player like Podsenik whos yet to hit a HR matters a lot.

And even though we havent played anyone yet and play in a bad area of town the Media (Example: The Chicago Tribune...Worlds Greatest Newspaper) will eventually will see that we have other potential talent in the clubhouse (regardless of that cancer A.J.) and more likely will be in playoff hunt at least until September. As long as we go for the big HRs like we have been doing in the past and forget about this Ozzie ball crap and hopefully, hopefully our mediocre bullpen doesnt blow to many saves...

We should be ok.

Oh wait...I forgot we still have a few games against the Twins.

Well...Theres always next year.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

When Pods comes up I cheer for the short ball. He leads the league in infield hits.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Do it Kenny!
I was listening to that too. I thought it was Jim Hendry. Lawrence Holmes was all over him.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 06-20-2005, 05:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Do it Kenny!
Ah yes, trade him because he has no power. Why not cite one of the most boneheaded trades in history as a rebuttal ? In which a great base-stealer with no power, Lou Brock, was traded to St Louis for the immortal Ernie Broglio? Not saying Podsednik is Brock here, just trying to make a point.

Now can you guess which team dealt Lou? (Who, by the way, was the heart of a Cards that won three pennants in the next five years after being traded and according to the Baseball Page " may be the greatest post-season performer in baseball history. His .391 batting average in the World Series is the highest mark for any player with at least 75 at-bats.") Needless to say, none of that occured during his tenure with his previous team. Now which team would that have been?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteWard
Ah yes, trade him because he has no power. Why not cite one of the most boneheaded trades in history as a rebuttal ? In which a great base-stealer with no power, Lou Brock, was traded to St Louis for the immortal Ernie Broglio? Not saying Podsednik is Brock here, just trying to make a point.

Now can you guess which team dealt Lou? (Who, by the way, was the heart of a Cards that won three pennants in the next five years after being traded and according to the Baseball Page " may be the greatest post-season performer in baseball history. His .391 batting average in the World Series is the highest mark for any player with at least 75 at-bats.") Needless to say, none of that occured during his tenure with his previous team. Now which team would that have been?
Brock, while a Cub, hit a center field bleachers home run at the old Polo Grounds. That's over 500 feet. He had power, but chose to play the game a different way. Didn't turn out too badly, either.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko
Brock, while a Cub, hit a center field bleachers home run at the old Polo Grounds. That's over 500 feet. He had power, but chose to play the game a different way. Didn't turn out too badly, either.
I also read that Brock hit a home run onto the roof of old Comiskey- as an
amatuer. He hit it in 1959 during the Pan-Amercian Games.