White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Joosh Joosh is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Poplar Grove, IL
Posts: 821
Default Listened to the Score after the game...

And listened to a caller who was obviously a Cub fan call in and notice that because Scott Posednik has no power, we should trade him. Not only that, he suggest we trade him to the Cubs for Corey Patterson!

Do it Kenny!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-20-2005, 01:08 AM
Chisox003 Chisox003 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,845
Post

I over heard someone talking at the game on Friday night, saying "Scott Podsednik sucks. Seriously, he doesn't even have any HR's."

I would have loved to turn around, slap him around, and go into the extremely easy explanation (to us, anyway) on why hes wrong, but I just ignored it. I still cant believe people are that stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Palehose13 Palehose13 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In Milwaukee, hey!
Posts: 10,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisox003
I over heard someone talking at the game on Friday night, saying "Scott Podsednik sucks. Seriously, he doesn't even have any HR's."

I would have loved to turn around, slap him around, and go into the extremely easy explanation (to us, anyway) on why hes wrong, but I just ignored it. I still cant believe people are that stupid.
Meh...someone on this very board was suggesting last week that Podsednik was not worthy of all-star consideration because he has no power. Some people just don't get that there are other tools that need to be valued in this game.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-20-2005, 02:07 AM
Cubbiesuck13 Cubbiesuck13 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehose13
Meh...someone on this very board was suggesting last week that Podsednik was not worthy of all-star consideration because he has no power. Some people just don't get that there are other tools that need to be valued in this game.
I was wondering about this myself. I acually wrote an e-mail to Hawk on Friday about it when they showed the game here. How many runs scored and stolen bases do you need to balance out not having great AVG/HR/RBI when it comes to all-star/mvp considerations?
__________________
Cubs Suck!

"I've thought about opening a bottle of champagne and pouring it on my teammates' heads. I don't care about my stats, just as long as we win. That gets us closer to my goal." C. Politte
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-20-2005, 02:13 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehose13
Some people just don't get that there are other tools that need to be valued in this game.
NO..You're wrong!!!!!! Dingers are all that matters. Chicks dig the long ball. Runs scored without a homer shouldn't even count! Seriously! That's it. Sammy and Big Mac saved baseball; could they have saved baseball with stolen bases?
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-20-2005, 01:17 AM
Banix12 Banix12 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisox003
I over heard someone talking at the game on Friday night, saying "Scott Podsednik sucks. Seriously, he doesn't even have any HR's."

I would have loved to turn around, slap him around, and go into the extremely easy explanation (to us, anyway) on why hes wrong, but I just ignored it. I still cant believe people are that stupid.
You were probably best to ignore it. not worth getting into an arguement for.

Though it is amazingly dumb, Lance Johnson didn't have a homerun all through the 93 season and very few would ever say he sucked, though he did hit one in the playoffs if I recall.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-20-2005, 03:26 AM
MrRoboto83 MrRoboto83 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: America
Posts: 3,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisox003
I over heard someone talking at the game on Friday night, saying "Scott Podsednik sucks. Seriously, he doesn't even have any HR's."

I would have loved to turn around, slap him around, and go into the extremely easy explanation (to us, anyway) on why hes wrong, but I just ignored it. I still cant believe people are that stupid.

These are the people that Carl Everett put in the 99% of baseball fans!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-20-2005, 04:45 AM
shoota shoota is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pilsen
Posts: 1,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
And listened to a caller who was obviously a Cub fan call in and notice that because Scott Posednik has no power, we should trade him. Not only that, he suggest we trade him to the Cubs for Corey Patterson!

Do it Kenny!
My buddy and I were talking at Saturday's game about Podsednik's home run total. We both had the same opinion that it doesn't bother us in the least. In fact, that number pleases me since I know that he's not trying to mash the ball.

Reading these boards in the offseason, some Brewer fan here said that his 2004 was quite worse than his 2003 in BA because he changed his approach at the plate to hit more fly balls. Obviously, if he has 0 home runs, he's not trying to mash the ball, rather find gaps in the infield and use his speed to beat out hits.

I love a well-balanced team. Each man in the order has a job to do, and with the exception of Crede, each man is successful in his duty.

Cubs fans are so jealous of our Scott Podsednik because he is what the Cubs wanted Corey Patterson to play like. Stubborn, selfish Patterson doesn't really have an identity of the type of player he is. Podsednik knows what he needs to do to help his team win; Lou Brock Jr. tries to be something he's not at the expense of his team.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Palehose13 Palehose13 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In Milwaukee, hey!
Posts: 10,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
Reading these boards in the offseason, some Brewer fan here said that his 2004 was quite worse than his 2003 in BA because he changed his approach at the plate to hit more fly balls. Obviously, if he has 0 home runs, he's not trying to mash the ball, rather find gaps in the infield and use his speed to beat out hits.
I don't know if you were referring to my reports on Podsednik in the offseason, but I was telling people that he was trying too hard to do everything last year in Milwaukee and was swinging for the fences. I didn't think that he would do that with the Sox line up and that his BA and OBP would improve. It's nice to see that he read my post and listened to me.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-20-2005, 12:04 PM
StrTrkker StrTrkker is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Joliet USA
Posts: 297
Default

I think that having a player like Podsenik whos yet to hit a HR matters a lot.

And even though we havent played anyone yet and play in a bad area of town the Media (Example: The Chicago Tribune...Worlds Greatest Newspaper) will eventually will see that we have other potential talent in the clubhouse (regardless of that cancer A.J.) and more likely will be in playoff hunt at least until September. As long as we go for the big HRs like we have been doing in the past and forget about this Ozzie ball crap and hopefully, hopefully our mediocre bullpen doesnt blow to many saves...

We should be ok.

Oh wait...I forgot we still have a few games against the Twins.

Well...Theres always next year.
__________________
Chicago White Sox
2005 World Series Champions
Thanks, Guys
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
34 Inch Stick 34 Inch Stick is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 4,302
Default

When Pods comes up I cheer for the short ball. He leads the league in infield hits.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-20-2005, 04:48 AM
skobabe8's Avatar
skobabe8 skobabe8 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Munster, IN
Posts: 6,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
And listened to a caller who was obviously a Cub fan call in and notice that because Scott Posednik has no power, we should trade him. Not only that, he suggest we trade him to the Cubs for Corey Patterson!

Do it Kenny!
I was listening to that too. I thought it was Jim Hendry. Lawrence Holmes was all over him.
__________________



www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-20-2005, 05:36 AM
PeteWard PeteWard is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
And listened to a caller who was obviously a Cub fan call in and notice that because Scott Posednik has no power, we should trade him. Not only that, he suggest we trade him to the Cubs for Corey Patterson!

Do it Kenny!
Ah yes, trade him because he has no power. Why not cite one of the most boneheaded trades in history as a rebuttal ? In which a great base-stealer with no power, Lou Brock, was traded to St Louis for the immortal Ernie Broglio? Not saying Podsednik is Brock here, just trying to make a point.

Now can you guess which team dealt Lou? (Who, by the way, was the heart of a Cards that won three pennants in the next five years after being traded and according to the Baseball Page " may be the greatest post-season performer in baseball history. His .391 batting average in the World Series is the highest mark for any player with at least 75 at-bats.") Needless to say, none of that occured during his tenure with his previous team. Now which team would that have been?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-20-2005, 10:55 AM
slavko slavko is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 5,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteWard
Ah yes, trade him because he has no power. Why not cite one of the most boneheaded trades in history as a rebuttal ? In which a great base-stealer with no power, Lou Brock, was traded to St Louis for the immortal Ernie Broglio? Not saying Podsednik is Brock here, just trying to make a point.

Now can you guess which team dealt Lou? (Who, by the way, was the heart of a Cards that won three pennants in the next five years after being traded and according to the Baseball Page " may be the greatest post-season performer in baseball history. His .391 batting average in the World Series is the highest mark for any player with at least 75 at-bats.") Needless to say, none of that occured during his tenure with his previous team. Now which team would that have been?
Brock, while a Cub, hit a center field bleachers home run at the old Polo Grounds. That's over 500 feet. He had power, but chose to play the game a different way. Didn't turn out too badly, either.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-20-2005, 11:00 AM
TommyJohn TommyJohn is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,113
Blog Entries: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko
Brock, while a Cub, hit a center field bleachers home run at the old Polo Grounds. That's over 500 feet. He had power, but chose to play the game a different way. Didn't turn out too badly, either.
I also read that Brock hit a home run onto the roof of old Comiskey- as an
amatuer. He hit it in 1959 during the Pan-Amercian Games.
__________________
I am Dabuiek
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.