White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Banned

Default All Cubs/Cards in Champaign

I know this is not earth shattering news and I'm not telling anyone anythigyou don't know but while cruising the mall today I noticed this small aisle store (not sure what you call them. ad here aare these "beautiful" pictures and paintings of Wrigley and Busch...of course no WhiteSox. Walked into Dallas and Company, a place to get halloween costumes, party supplies, magic triks etc...firt hing you see when you walk in? A huge Cubs flag. It just seems the only place to go for ANY decent Sox memorbillia is Grandstand...
Old 03-09-2005, 12:15 AM
WSI Prelate

That's what happens when you are surrounded by the University of Illinois.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 03-09-2005, 12:31 AM
WSI Personality

At the Finish Line, they have a pretty decent selection of White Sox stuff. I dont see a big difference between the amount of Sox vs. Cubs stuff in the stores from here and the south suburbs. Orland Park is predominately Sox fans, although several douchebag posers have come forward in recent years wearing blue and red. However, all the stores have no less than 50% Cubs stuff, most have much more Cubs than Sox. I have talked to people I know working at Sportmart, and they say the Cubs junk never sells. The Sox stuff isn't exactly flying off the shelves, but it sells much more than the Cubs stuff. The amount of Flub attire is similar in stores such as the Hatworld and the Galyans/Dicks in Orland Park. At least for the suburban stores, decisions on what items to carry are made by Chicago big wigs who apparently dont pay attention to sales trends for specific stores. Im not saying that is the case in Champaign, but there are plenty of Sox fans down here. I would venture to say that you see more '83 throwback Sox hats around campus any given day than all Cubs hats altogether. I would say at least 20% of baseball fans at U of I are Sox fans, and there are a lot of Cards fans, too.

"This is our rival right here. Forget the other teams. I think it's going to come down to us and (the Indians)."
-Dmitri Young, 4/10/05
Old 03-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Banned

Yah, clothing and hats are about equal. I guess I was talking more of the other stuff. Briefly there was this store in the mall with all sports memorbillia. It was pretty big and I don't recall seeing one piece of Whitesox merchandise.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:47 AM
WSI Personality

A few weeks back I went into Foot Locker and I can't think of what other store, but one place was only carrying Maggs jerseys and the other only had Maggs and Loaiza.

I'd also have to agree that on a given day, I'll see more Sox hats and shirts on people than Cubs around campus. Most of the fake fans have given up now that the kool-aid from the 2003 playoffs is wearing off a little bit.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:53 AM
WSI Personality

I have to add that I felt pretty bad for the Cards fans here last fall. Sure their team made it to the World Series last year, something our team hasn't done since '59, but a lot of Cub fans instantly turned into Red Sox fans. That was almost as annoying as when the Cubs were in the playoffs.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike squires
Yah, clothing and hats are about equal. I guess I was talking more of the other stuff. Briefly there was this store in the mall with all sports memorbillia. It was pretty big and I don't recall seeing one piece of Whitesox merchandise.
Was it a really plain white store? I went there and got a Bears pennant right before Chirstmas break for $2 and asked the guy where they were going and he told me the store is just seasonal. He and I both thought it was a shame that they weren't open during baseball season.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf
Was it a really plain white store? I went there and got a Bears pennant right before Chirstmas break for $2 and asked the guy where they were going and he told me the store is just seasonal. He and I both thought it was a shame that they weren't open during baseball season.
Yeah, I think that was it. It had to be. I was surprised how big it was. There might have been a Sox clock or something but not a singe bobblehead, chair, rug, picture etc...

There was a card show there a few months ago and there was a guy that had a nice selection of 80's stuff like magazines, readers Digests and stuff with Sox players on them...I also see many Sox hats in the Champaign/Urbana area.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike squires
I know this is not earth shattering news and I'm not telling anyone anythigyou don't know but while cruising the mall today I noticed this small aisle store (not sure what you call them. ad here aare these "beautiful" pictures and paintings of Wrigley and Busch...of course no WhiteSox. Walked into Dallas and Company, a place to get halloween costumes, party supplies, magic triks etc...firt hing you see when you walk in? A huge Cubs flag. It just seems the only place to go for ANY decent Sox memorbillia is Grandstand...
Yeah, it sucks.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

When I was home for winter break, (I go to Hofstra)I went to all of the sports stores in the mall. Only one store had Sox t-shirts, and they had two of them. Not two styles, TWO SHIRTS! At the same time, there were piles of sCrUB crap all over the store
Old 03-09-2005, 04:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

I go to U of I.

So many know nothing Cubs fans here that's it's ****ing sickening.

I'd say about 1/4 people here are Sox fans. Not that bad. Far cry from being in the south suburbs and everybody hating them though.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowand33
I go to U of I.

So many know nothing Cubs fans here that's it's ****ing sickening.

I'd say about 1/4 people here are Sox fans. Not that bad. Far cry from being in the south suburbs and everybody hating them though.
1/4 of the people at a school that big are Sox fans? You got it made. I went to Penn State for 4 and a half years. Including me, there was probably 6 of us out of 40,000 students.