White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2005, 10:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Baseball Analysts' Bryan Smith declares Young a breakout candidate

http://baseballanalysts.com/

Quote:
Chris Young of the Chicago White Sox is the last of the players that are found both on my prospect and breakout lists. Compared by Phil Rogers of Baseball America to Mike Cameron, Young is the definition of a Three True Outcomes player. Strikeouts, walks, home runs. All are very prevalent in Young's game, and when you mix that with great defense, I believe you get a future Major Leaguer. He was a little old last year for the South Atlantic League, and this must be the season Young breaks out of his shell.
It seems like a lot of people "in the know" about the White Sox farm system believe that Young will turn out to be at least a decent major leaguer. He hasn't shown up on many prospect lists, but is it possible that he ends up outshining at least one of the brighter stars of Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney? I think we'll find out this year if Young really has the potential to be a solid major league center-fielder. It really doesnt take a big bat to land in center. He knows how to take a walk, but he also strikes out way too much. If he could just lower his strikeouts he would be a lot better, but 145 in 465 at bats is just waaay too many. The 66 walks were nice, but he has to cut down on those K's. 24 homers is pretty darn good at 21 years old, especially considering he had only 465 at bats.

What does everyone else think about Young?
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 03-04-2005, 10:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm a big fan of his abilities. Like you however, I'm not a big fan of his K's. He has a pretty high ceiling, whether or not he achieves them is another story.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO
It seems like a lot of people "in the know" about the White Sox farm system believe that Young will turn out to be at least a decent major leaguer. He hasn't shown up on many prospect lists, but is it possible that he ends up outshining at least one of the brighter stars of Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney? I think we'll find out this year if Young really has the potential to be a solid major league center-fielder. It really doesnt take a big bat to land in center. He knows how to take a walk, but he also strikes out way too much. If he could just lower his strikeouts he would be a lot better, but 145 in 465 at bats is just waaay too many. The 66 walks were nice, but he has to cut down on those K's. 24 homers is pretty darn good at 21 years old, especially considering he had only 465 at bats.

Chris Young still has a lot of filling-out to do. That said, he has a lot of pop and I'm not overly concerned about the strike-outs, rather, more concerned about his average and more consistent contact.

This will be a big year for the young man. Tons of potential. Plus tools everywhere but arm, and he's done a lot of work to go from seriously below average to average in that regard.

Does he have a higher ceiling than Anderson and Sweeney? I could buy that,, although I think Sweeney and Anderson are much greater "sure-things" to realize their potential...
Old 03-04-2005, 11:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
http://baseballanalysts.com/

Adam Dunn lite type hitter in center sounds like fun. Then again Adam was in MLB at 21 while Young is at A.
"You'll get one good pitch to hit. One good pitch. That's all. Don't count on more. So you better know the strike zone. And when you get that one good pitch you better hit it and hit it hard. Remember, just one good pitch"

-Ted Williams as told in The Teamates.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Guess who shows up on his comparable list from PECOTA (albeit at 18 with a score of just 19):

"Beisbol has been berry berry good to me and can be for you too if you follow my workout plan and work with my old hitting coach."

"I think we all know better than to do that"
Old 03-04-2005, 08:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Guess who shows up on his comparable list from PECOTA (albeit at 18 with a score of just 19):

"Beisbol has been berry berry good to me and can be for you too if you follow my workout plan and work with my old hitting coach."

"I think we all know better than to do that"
So you assume Sosa used steroids but defend Bonds at every chance you get? I guess only Sosa took roids and not Bonds.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:18 PM
WSI Regular

i think of our big 3 OF's..... for sure Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney will have an impact on our major league team with Sweeney having a lot higher upside.... and while Chris Young isnt as sure of a thing he has a higher cieling than Brian Anderson.