White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2004, 03:02 PM
WSI Regular

Default Scout Questions Part 2

What's the take on Sweeney. He is absolutely tearing the cover off the ball at Winston Salem since the CL All-Star game. Is he simply hot at the moment and proving he belongs in High A?, OR has he turned a developmental corner and taken his game to the next level? Either way, his overall showing this year boads well for the future. Only 19, playing all year for the first time, and skipping straight to High-A. That's pretty impressive isn't it? What is his ceiling and what kind of defense does he play? How fast will he move through the system? (Maybe AA next year)
Old 07-20-2004, 03:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tom
What's the take on Sweeney. He is absolutely tearing the cover off the ball at Winston Salem since the CL All-Star game. Is he simply hot at the moment and proving he belongs in High A?, OR has he turned a developmental corner and taken his game to the next level? Either way, his overall showing this year boads well for the future. Only 19, playing all year for the first time, and skipping straight to High-A. That's pretty impressive isn't it? What is his ceiling and what kind of defense does he play? How fast will he move through the system? (Maybe AA next year)
What Sweeney is doing is remarkable. We're talking about a 19 year old kid who played in the Midwest producing against guys 3-4 years older than him in his first full year of pro ball. I doubt he will get the call to AA, but you bet he is ticketed for Birmingham next year. There's nothing really this kid can't do. He's got decent speed, a killer arm in the outfield, and can flat out hit. His biggest deficiency right now is a lack of power, but that might come along as he matures. His plate discipline is pretty average, but I'll give him some leeway as he is only 19 years old.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:18 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
What Sweeney is doing is remarkable. We're talking about a 19 year old kid who played in the Midwest producing against guys 3-4 years older than him in his first full year of pro ball. I doubt he will get the call to AA, but you bet he is ticketed for Birmingham next year. There's nothing really this kid can't do. He's got decent speed, a killer arm in the outfield, and can flat out hit. His biggest deficiency right now is a lack of power, but that might come along as he matures. His plate discipline is pretty average, but I'll give him some leeway as he is only 19 years old.
He'd be a better releiver than Mike Jackson right now also.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I agree it's his age that's most impressive. While his stats aren't much to look at, there aren't too many 19 year olds that can achieve what he has at high A. If he can keep it up and holds his own at AA next season I'll be quite happy.

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004
Old 07-21-2004, 11:10 AM
WSI Regular

Default Sweeney Power

He's only hit five home runs this summer and his slugging percentage is low, but he's SOOO young. Also, he's hit a ton of doubles. Doesn't hitting a lot of doubles usually project future power for young hitters? Also, he doesnt walk much, but he doesn't strike out all that much. He just puts the ball in play a lot.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tom
He's only hit five home runs this summer and his slugging percentage is low, but he's SOOO young. Also, he's hit a ton of doubles. Doesn't hitting a lot of doubles usually project future power for young hitters? Also, he doesnt walk much, but he doesn't strike out all that much. He just puts the ball in play a lot.
Yes. One thing that is hardest to project is who will develop legit power. How long have teams been waiting for Eurubiel Durazo to develop the power they all thought he once would? Doubles, for younger players, is usually a very good indication of future power. Sweeney has had a very low SLG% for most of the season, but recently has started to hit the ball a little harder. Casey Rogowski always looked like a HR hitter, but until the past year or so, he, far too often, would just slap the ball. Sweeney does something similar, trying to put the ball in play as often as possible, and it does cost him power at times. He could turn into John Olerud, or he could turn into a 30-40 HR hitter. The kid is bright as a lightbulb and makes adjustments very quickly, he's like a sponge.

I'm still holding firm to my belief that the kid could be a prototype 1B too, rather than OF'er. Anyone who's ever played 3B or SS knows what a benefit to the entire IF-defense it is to be throwing over to a 6'5" guy with some athleticism.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:32 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
I'm still holding firm to my belief that the kid could be a prototype 1B too, rather than OF'er. Anyone who's ever played 3B or SS knows what a benefit to the entire IF-defense it is to be throwing over to a 6'5" guy with some athleticism.
that is exactly what i was gonna bring up! with us having good depth at OF(Young, nanita,anderson,spidale,borchard) we should try to convert this guy into a corner infield position, most likely 1b, since that is weak in the system
Old 07-21-2004, 11:36 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
While on the subject of position changes, what about Josh Fields. It might be a mute point considering both him and Crede are sucking it up, but when he was drafted scouts were saying he'd move fast and have to change positions. What about SS. If he develops like he should it would be nice to have him manning ss at the Cell in 06 or 07