White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2004, 12:39 PM
WSI Personality

Default Wes Whisler...

Does anyone know what the Sox plans are for Wes Whisler, the recently drafted P/1B/DH out of UCLA? He hit and pitched in college, and so far he is doing both at Kannapolis. In 3 games hitting, he is 2 for 9, and in 3 games pitching, he has a 6+ ERA in 6.2 innings.

I don't know if the Sox plan on him being the Brooks Keishnick (Wes was drafted pretty high to be a RP/Pinch hitter, and I know, AL pitchers don't hit), or if they are just trying to see what he can to better in A ball. Has anyone seen him on a regular basis? If so, can you give some info and suggest what he is better suited for?

Scott Podsednik
"...he could be a nice bench player...he's going to do quite well in helping Minnesota win another AL Central crown."
Freddy Garcia
"Garcia is not a bad pitcher, but he's not much better than an average one."
Jon Garland
"The White Sox take pride in noting that Jon Garland is now their fifth starter, which obscures the fact that he pitches like a fifth starter."
Old 07-09-2004, 12:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdommer
Does anyone know what the Sox plans are for Wes Whisler, the recently drafted P/1B/DH out of UCLA? He hit and pitched in college, and so far he is doing both at Kannapolis. In 3 games hitting, he is 2 for 9, and in 3 games pitching, he has a 6+ ERA in 6.2 innings.

I don't know if the Sox plan on him being the Brooks Keishnick (Wes was drafted pretty high to be a RP/Pinch hitter, and I know, AL pitchers don't hit), or if they are just trying to see what he can to better in A ball. Has anyone seen him on a regular basis? If so, can you give some info and suggest what he is better suited for?
1) This belongs in the "Minor Observations" board
2) He was considered a future first-round pick a year ago in the Cape Cod League both hitting and pitching very well. The Sox are DH'ing him on his off-days. He is likely to be a future pitcher, and has proto-type size, but just needs to refine his mechanics. However, he is an intruiging 1B prospect as a 6'5" LH'ed power hitter. Letting him do both will allow the scouting staff to get a better understanding and determination of his potential at both positions.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:48 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
2) He was considered a future first-round pick a year ago in the Cape Cod League both hitting and pitching very well. The Sox are DH'ing him on his off-days. He is likely to be a future pitcher, and has proto-type size, but just needs to refine his mechanics. However, he is an intruiging 1B prospect as a 6'5" LH'ed power hitter. Letting him do both will allow the scouting staff to get a better understanding and determination of his potential at both positions.
What type of pitcher is he? How hard does he throw? What MLB pitcher does he most likely project to be like?

Sorry about putting it in the clubhouse. I didn't even know this forum existed! Thanks.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdommer
What type of pitcher is he? How hard does he throw? What MLB pitcher does he most likely project to be like?

Sorry about putting it in the clubhouse. I didn't even know this forum existed! Thanks.
It's difficult to compare him to another pitcher.

Mechanically, he reminds me of a LH'ed Mark Prior, no joke. Very similar to the eye. He is inconsistent with repeating his mechanics, resulting in him struggling with his command, but it might just be a lack of concentration on pitching. He throws in the low 90's, throws a hard slider in addition to a curve and change. He doesn't change speeds terribly effectively, but he has a low-mileage arm and has never been a full-time pitcher.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Your logic doesn't doesn't cut it. Whisler was a high pick, in fact a reach where they drafted him. If the scouting staff needed to get a better determination of his potential they wouldn't have taken him that high. Someone with the Sox really likes him.

Whisler regressed badly the last two years as a hitter at UCLA. His future is on the mound, and it's not a very bright one in my opinion.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Your logic doesn't doesn't cut it. Whisler was a high pick, in fact a reach where they drafted him. If the scouting staff needed to get a better determination of his potential they wouldn't have taken him that high. Someone with the Sox really likes him.

Whisler regressed badly the last two years as a hitter at UCLA. His future is on the mound, and it's not a very bright one in my opinion.
He was a high-first round projection going into last year at UCLA where he certainly did struggle.

"My logic doesn't cut it?"

logic? I gave a scouting report on the kid You're in way over your head here, pal.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
He was a high-first round projection going into last year at UCLA where he certainly did struggle.

"My logic doesn't cut it?"

logic? I gave a scouting report on the kid You're in way over your head here, pal.
Yes, your scouting report on Whisler invoked the name of Mark Prior in a comparison of mechanics. So you did give a scouting report, but forgive me for doubting its accuracy.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Yes, your scouting report on Whisler invoked the name of Mark Prior in a comparison of mechanics. So you did give a scouting report, but forgive me for doubting its accuracy.
I also said he was inconsistent with those mechanics, and didn't change speeds effectively. As someone who has seen enough of him to have an informed opinion, his basic mechanics are very similar to Mark Prior. In no way am I comparing his ability as a pitcher to him, though.

However, leap to whatever naive or uninformed opinion/conclusion you wish.

Forgive me for doubting your intelligence.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
He was considered a future first-round pick a year ago in the Cape Cod League both hitting and pitching very well. The Sox are DH'ing him on his off-days. He is likely to be a future pitcher, and has proto-type size, but just needs to refine his mechanics. However, he is an intruiging 1B prospect as a 6'5" LH'ed power hitter. Letting him do both will allow the scouting staff to get a better understanding and determination of his potential at both positions.
Randar I don't disagree at all with your scouting report. Personally I just think it's important to emphasize that he lacks Prior's polish since I believe that MLB readiness is extremely underrated by many since many raw prospects with a ton of tools never develop the polish to pitch in the majors.

As far as allowing Whisler to pitch and DH, I think it's a stroke of genius. We're talking about a player that has to potential to do either with no clear stregth. I don't think it takes away from his ability to hit or pitch if he does both as a recently signed 22 year old in the low minors. Whatever we can do to give the organization the best idea of in which role he'll excell is highly valuable.

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004
Old 07-21-2004, 11:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb1
Randar I don't disagree at all with your scouting report. Personally I just think it's important to emphasize that he lacks Prior's polish since I believe that MLB readiness is extremely underrated by many since many raw prospects with a ton of tools never develop the polish to pitch in the majors.

As far as allowing Whisler to pitch and DH, I think it's a stroke of genius. We're talking about a player that has to potential to do either with no clear stregth. I don't think it takes away from his ability to hit or pitch if he does both as a recently signed 22 year old in the low minors. Whatever we can do to give the organization the best idea of in which role he'll excell is highly valuable.
I don't disagree, and for the record, the only comparison I made to Prior was purely in his delivery and mechanics. I also stated that his release point floats around and he's inconsistent with his command. Someone asked for a description, and one of the best ways to do that is to comnpare parts of a player's game to a well-known player. I tried to add the caveats so people wouldn't go nuts on me, but it didn't stop them.

The short of things: He has the physical ability to do either, IMO, he probably has better potential as a pitcher, and should concentrate on it, but I don't mind him DH'ing in his first partial season to allow the Sox' staff to get a better look at him. IMO, both his development as a hitter and a pitcher has been retarded by trying to do both at such a high level. Hopefully they have him settled into one role next year.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Wes pitched 6 terrific inninigs tonight giving up 3 h, 3 K, 0 bB, and 1 un-earned run picking up the win at Class A Kannapolis and will go back to DH'ing the next few days?

why did we waste picks on guys like this when we could have had the 1-game wonder BJ Syzmanski and his average numbers in Rookie ball?

BLA!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Wes pitched 6 terrific inninigs tonight giving up 3 h, 3 K, 0 bB, and 1 un-earned run picking up the win at Class A Kannapolis and will go back to DH'ing the next few days?

why did we waste picks on guys like this when we could have had the 1-game wonder BJ Syzmanski and his average numbers in Rookie ball?

BLA!
Would you honestly rather have Whisler than Syzmanski? Says a lot . . .