White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2004, 02:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Minor league stuff...

- Josh Fields made his first professional start tonight for Winston Salem. He went 0-3 DH'ing for the Warthogs. Winston Salem lost to Wilmington 2-1.

- Wilson Valdez made his first start for the Knights tonight also. He went 0-3 while starting at shortstop. The Knights lost to Rochester 4-2.

- Maybe the worst news of the night: Donnie Sadler made his debut for the Knights tonight, pinch-running for Aaron McNeal. Apparently the Sox picked him up off waivers. Sadler was hitting .130/.167/.217 in 23 at-bats for the Arizona Diamondbacks before being DFA'd. For those who don't know, Donnie Sadler is arguably one of the worst players ever. In 744 major-league at-bats, Sadler has hit .204/.265/.286. His career OPS+ is 41. That's sad, to say the least. Why Kenny felt the need to bring him into the Sox organization, I have no idea.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:24 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEdward
- Maybe the worst news of the night: Donnie Sadler made his debut for the Knights tonight, pinch-running for Aaron McNeal. Apparently the Sox picked him up off waivers. Sadler was hitting .130/.167/.217 in 23 at-bats for the Arizona Diamondbacks before being DFA'd. For those who don't know, Donnie Sadler is arguably one of the worst players ever. In 744 major-league at-bats, Sadler has hit .204/.265/.286. His career OPS+ is 41. That's sad, to say the least. Why Kenny felt the need to bring him into the Sox organization, I have no idea.
What about Bill Bergen?
Old 06-20-2004, 03:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason
What about Bill Bergen?
Yeah, Bergen was pretty horrible (20 OPS+, .395 OPS in 3028 ABs). However, he had the 'benefit' of playing in a time of relative low offense. Sadler has played in an offense-dominated era. Plus, Sadler has played in some of the best hitters' parks of the past few years (The Ballpark At Arlington and Royals Stadium). He's not the worst player ever, but he may be the worst hitter I've seen in my life (pitchers excluded).

I'm overreacting, but Sadler has no reason to be in our organization.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't know anything about Sadler. Perhaps KW sees something that we don't, and it is a relatively low-cost, low-risk gamble. However, it might also be that the Knights have a hole to fill, and they don't feel that someone is ready to come up from AA yet.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

But he's a grinder!
Old 06-20-2004, 09:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

And Cheap
Old 06-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEdward
- Josh Fields made his first professional start tonight for Winston Salem. He went 0-3 DH'ing for the Warthogs. Winston Salem lost to Wilmington 2-1.

- Wilson Valdez made his first start for the Knights tonight also. He went 0-3 while starting at shortstop. The Knights lost to Rochester 4-2.

Fields and valdez should be cut