White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2014, 01:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Scheduling gripe

I changed my Sox calendar to June and I'm a bit miffed...

What brainiac thought it would be OK to schedule only 3 weekend home games for the Sox in the whole month of June, with the first one on Sunday? And only 11 home games overall...

And it's not as if they make up for it in July and August either.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:54 PM
WSI High Priest

I noticed that too. My work schedule makes it a lot more difficult to go to weekday games so it's kind've a bummer. Plus, the Sox played a lot of the "big draw" high profile opponents already like BOS, NYY, and CHC. Pretty rough especially for a team like ours that has been struggling at the gate.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 05-30-2014, 03:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
What brainiac thought it would be OK to schedule only 3 weekend home games for the Sox in the whole month of June, with the first one on Sunday? And only 11 home games overall...
Probably the MLB computer

2014 Attendance Record: 15-11
2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 05-30-2014, 03:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Sox have 18 home games in August (only 9 road games) with 4 days off and 3 full weekends at The Cell. How is that not "making up for it"?

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2014, 03:53 PM
WSI High Priest

With JR one of the most powerful owners in MLB I'm always surprised at the lousy schedules the White Sox usually end up with.

Another schedule problem which I have an issue with is playing a night game on get-away day, I'm surprised that the players union has not fought for a change.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-30-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:58 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
With JR one of the most powerful owners in MLB I'm always surprised at the lousy schedules the White Sox usually end up with.
I mean, would it really shock anyone to find out that the Sox don't mind and are actively tryign to keep attendance artificially low at the Cell? They have a sweetheart lease with the State that basically allows them to play at the park for free provided not enough people show up, they actively and passively keep the neighborhood around the park a dead zone, they tone deafly continue to price tickets at ridiculous levels and use aggravating dynamic pricing...
Old 05-30-2014, 04:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I mean, would it really shock anyone to find out that the Sox don't mind and are actively tryign to keep attendance artificially low at the Cell? They have a sweetheart lease with the State that basically allows them to play at the park for free provided not enough people show up, they actively and passively keep the neighborhood around the park a dead zone, they tone deafly continue to price tickets at ridiculous levels and use aggravating dynamic pricing...
Could very well be the case, bothers the crap out of me but that's JR who I have never been a big fan of.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 PM
WSI Guru

There may be some truth to the previous comments about wanting to keep attendance low but that seems in contrast to what Bob Grim told me when I interviewed him for the web site.

He said JR had him and Howard Pizer look at all the schedules and make a list of things the Sox found unacceptable. Those were passed on to JR according to Bob supposedly then passed along to MLB.

Among the issues Bob discussed were not playing Milwaukee enough in inter league play and not getting the Yankees on weekends in the summer when school was out. (Bob used the example of when the Indians were struggling attendance-wise MLB went out of their way to help them.)

The Sox have lost attendance from the previous season seven straight years, first time that's ever happened. The schedule and by proxy MLB doesn't seem to care as they keep giving the Sox a bunch of home games in April in terrible weather and this year they have the Sox having playing Boston, the Yankees and the Cubs all before Memorial Day.

Lip
Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
it would be hard to disagree with the idea that they actively push fans away. If true, all of the marketing mistakes they have made actually start to look logical.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I changed my Sox calendar to June and I'm a bit miffed...

Is this you, Hawk?