White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-31-2014, 09:32 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,753
Blog Entries: 5
Default Facebook data says Sox are Cook County's favorite team

http://deadspin.com/facebook-data-pr...1555222593/all

The Cubs dominate most of Northern Illinois, Iowa, and Indiana but surprise, surprise, look who is #1 in the city.

The Sox also were the favorites in Will, Kankakee, and Lake County, Indiana.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-31-2014, 09:35 AM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,934
Post

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-31-2014, 09:40 AM
Golden Sox Golden Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oswego, Illinois
Posts: 737
Default

The owners of the bad guys on the Northside keep maintaining that 40% of there attendance comes from out of state. The White Sox don't get that type of attendance from the out of staters.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 AM
Soxman219 Soxman219 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Munster, Indiana
Posts: 3,089
Default

Not surprised, it's like 90% Sox fans here in Lake County, IN. I go to the city and see more Sox gear than Cubs gear. There's more Cub fans in Iowa, Southern Indiana, and North Illinois and South Wisconsin.
__________________
Setbacks are setups for comebacks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-31-2014, 11:08 AM
Streets Streets is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Schererville, IN
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Not surprised, it's like 90% Sox fans here in Lake County, IN. I go to the city and see more Sox gear than Cubs gear. There's more Cub fans in Iowa, Southern Indiana, and North Illinois and South Wisconsin.
They're Cardinals fans down there, with a few Reds fans as you go east.

Lake county is pretty 50/50 to be honest.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-31-2014, 11:37 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is online now
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,661
Default

Nome and the North Slope go to the Yankees, but the Northwest Arctic leans toward Boston...
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 PM
mahagga73 mahagga73 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Downs, Il.
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
They're Cardinals fans down there, with a few Reds fans as you go east.

Lake county is pretty 50/50 to be honest.
Yeah most of Indiana is Reds, Cardinals.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-2014, 03:14 AM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Not surprised, it's like 90% Sox fans here in Lake County, IN. I go to the city and see more Sox gear than Cubs gear. There's more Cub fans in Iowa, Southern Indiana, and North Illinois and South Wisconsin.
When I was living in Munster, 1967-1979, Munster was solidly Cubs country. Being a White Sox fan put me in a very small minority. Being known as a White Sox fan at Munster High made you a social outcast, so there were probably a few White Sox fans in the closet. That was even true in 1977, when there was more excitement for the Cubs' run that year than the White Sox run that is more fondly remembered among the respective fan bases. And it was true too for the area of Hammond where the family auto parts store was located. All of my grandfather's employees were Cubs fans. During summer afternoons, Cubs games would be playing in the accounting area. I wondered if it was at least in part a class thing because Munster, at the time at least, was more affluent than the rest of Lake County. Still the Times always treated the Cubs as the No. 1 baseball team in its circulation area. When I went down to Bloomington for school, I was in Reds country. Of course, those were the days of the Big Red Machine.

Everywhere else I've lived since, Arizona, Alaska and California, with the exception of suburban Milwaukee, people have to be reminded that the Cubs are not the only major league baseball team.

I was once in Dublin, Ireland, talking to a man from Liverpool, England about sports. Although he had never been to America, he knew that Wrigley Field was to baseball what St. Andrews in Scotland is to golf.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 AM
34rancher 34rancher is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,711
Default

I think the obvious reason is 2005 and the teens/20s. Most kids associate more with the white sox due to winning and being kid friendly. I think the younger demographic is driving the Facebook map here.
__________________
I named my bulldog DH because he's lazy.
-Ozzie
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 AM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
When I was living in Munster, 1967-1979, Munster was solidly Cubs country. Being a White Sox fan put me in a very small minority. Being known as a White Sox fan at Munster High made you a social outcast, so there were probably a few White Sox fans in the closet. That was even true in 1977, when there was more excitement for the Cubs' run that year than the White Sox run that is more fondly remembered among the respective fan bases. And it was true too for the area of Hammond where the family auto parts store was located. All of my grandfather's employees were Cubs fans. During summer afternoons, Cubs games would be playing in the accounting area. I wondered if it was at least in part a class thing because Munster, at the time at least, was more affluent than the rest of Lake County. Still the Times always treated the Cubs as the No. 1 baseball team in its circulation area. When I went down to Bloomington for school, I was in Reds country. Of course, those were the days of the Big Red Machine.

Everywhere else I've lived since, Arizona, Alaska and California, with the exception of suburban Milwaukee, people have to be reminded that the Cubs are not the only major league baseball team.

I was once in Dublin, Ireland, talking to a man from Liverpool, England about sports. Although he had never been to America, he knew that Wrigley Field was to baseball what St. Andrews in Scotland is to golf.
Here on the East Coast, I don't have to deal with that very much, since this area (especially before the Nats came to town), NY, and NE all are obviously AL-centric.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-02-2014, 10:44 AM
BigKlu59 BigKlu59 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hotel California
Posts: 1,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
When I was living in Munster, 1967-1979, Munster was solidly Cubs country. Being a White Sox fan put me in a very small minority. Being known as a White Sox fan at Munster High made you a social outcast, so there were probably a few White Sox fans in the closet. That was even true in 1977, when there was more excitement for the Cubs' run that year than the White Sox run that is more fondly remembered among the respective fan bases. And it was true too for the area of Hammond where the family auto parts store was located. All of my grandfather's employees were Cubs fans. During summer afternoons, Cubs games would be playing in the accounting area. I wondered if it was at least in part a class thing because Munster, at the time at least, was more affluent than the rest of Lake County. Still the Times always treated the Cubs as the No. 1 baseball team in its circulation area. When I went down to Bloomington for school, I was in Reds country. Of course, those were the days of the Big Red Machine.

Everywhere else I've lived since, Arizona, Alaska and California, with the exception of suburban Milwaukee, people have to be reminded that the Cubs are not the only major league baseball team.

I was once in Dublin, Ireland, talking to a man from Liverpool, England about sports. Although he had never been to America, he knew that Wrigley Field was to baseball what St. Andrews in Scotland is to golf.
I think the shift you saw cuBs vs Pale Hose can be seen today with the reversal of fortunes. You are always gonna have your die hards and those that jump with the flavor of the day. The Sox were on the wane and the Cubbies were touting their BBHOF Line up that looked good on paper, were bouncing balls onto Waveland and Sheffield, yet couldnt bring home the bacon if the pig was handed to them..

GN cable, Harry pumping personality in to a moribound carcass didnt help the Sox as well...

Had my Black Sox moments as well... Yes Virginia, there is a Chicago Baseball team on the South Side of town as well. Too bad there was no such thing as the wild card back in the Yankee hey day.. Atleast the Sox then would have had more countrywide media attention and somewhat more of a household name.

Fair playing media field established.. Sox run with it and the Cubbies can have all the fans in Uttumwa fer sure...

BK59
__________________
Big Klu says... "When you step in the box you go to war"..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Railsplitter Railsplitter is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 6,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The owners of the bad guys on the Northside keep maintaining that 40% of there attendance comes from out of state. The White Sox don't get that type of attendance from the out of staters.
Indeed. Had the Tribune company not promoted Wrigley Field as a tourist attraction, we might not be talking about any 100th anniversary celebrations.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-01-2014, 08:30 AM
OldRomanPizza OldRomanPizza is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bucktown
Posts: 660
Default

Interesting study.

I am not from Chicago but I have come to know a few North Side natives who support the Sox as they feel the Sox are the more "Chicago" team. I'd be interested to know if this is a pattern.

I'd also be interested to see this study done at the neighborhood level. In Logan Square (Around Milwaukee/Fullerton, at least) I see more Tigers hats than Cubs/Sox combined.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-01-2014, 03:11 PM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest Side, 60626
Posts: 1,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRomanPizza View Post
Interesting study.

I am not from Chicago but I have come to know a few North Side natives who support the Sox as they feel the Sox are the more "Chicago" team. I'd be interested to know if this is a pattern.
In my experience here on the Nortside (really, pretty much from 7200N to about 1000N is Cubs territory from what I've seen), that is most definitely not the case. Cubs gear is much more prevalent than Sox gear.
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-02-2014, 05:36 PM
rpmorri rpmorri is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRomanPizza View Post
I'd also be interested to see this study done at the neighborhood level. In Logan Square (Around Milwaukee/Fullerton, at least) I see more Tigers hats than Cubs/Sox combined.
Logan is far more Cubs than Sox. It's not close.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.