White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 PM
MMXXIII

Default White Sox agree to terms with De Aza, Beckham

Just popped up on my Facebook news feed, no official release from the official site yet...

https://www.facebook.com/notes/chica...52544684563047

Both get 1-year deals to avoid arbitration. $4.175 M for Gordon, $4.5 for Alejandro.

If I'm doing my math correct, that is now about $87 million committed to 15 players for 2014
Old 01-17-2014, 01:49 PM
WSI Prelate

$8.5 million for both those guys, think of that.

That's how outrageous this whole thing is.

Both guys are barely replacement level.

Marcus Semien can't do what Beckham does for $500k?

Why not just release them two and take the money to scouting or make a last push for Tanaka?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

Why not just release them two and take the money to scouting or make a last push for Tanaka?
As frustrating as ADA is, he earns that check. Beckham is just a travesty though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 01-17-2014, 02:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Because (at a minimum) they both can generate trade value to bring some talent back into the organization.

(I'm still not giving up on Beckham- lots of injuries in 2013- while he seemed to be figuring it out at the plate)
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 01-17-2014, 03:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Because (at a minimum) they both can generate trade value to bring some talent back into the organization.

(I'm still not giving up on Beckham- lots of injuries in 2013- while he seemed to be figuring it out at the plate)
Both have zero trade value. Why do you think they re still here.

Sox are just trying to hold on to hope here, at least for Beckham.

They need to realize he's a bust and just move on.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Both have zero trade value. Why do you think they re still here.

Sox are just trying to hold on to hope here, at least for Beckham.

They need to realize he's a bust and just move on.
Solid 2nd baseman on defense- hit .300+, with OPS ~.760 for June/July (which over a full season would put him between Hendrick and Kinsler among AL 2nd basemen) after coming back from injury and before more injuries set in-

The White Sox are not in a position to simply dump viable major league talent and get nothing in return- IF Beckham can do that over a full season- someone will want him and they can get some talent in return for their overall rebuilding.

DeAza could be very good 4th OF on a contender-

Talent like that can bring some return from a contender who gets hit with injuries during the season-

Their salaries will in no way impede whatever they plan on offering Tanaka-

Semian committed 28 errors across AA/AAA/MLB in 2013- so I'm sure they's like him to stabilize his defense with another year of minor league "seasoning" before asking him to be a starter at the major league level- which seems like a sound player development strategy to me-
Old 01-17-2014, 04:00 PM
WSI Regular

The thing about Gordon Beckham is I have this dreadful feeling that as long as he's with the Sox, he'll never be able to put it together but then as soon as he goes to a different team he'll become a beast and he'll especially torch the Sox whenever he plays them.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:03 PM
WSI Irregular

I'm glad they're both signed.

I still like Beckham. He's 27. Still has some growth potential in the next five years. Plays solid D.

ADA gives us some outfield flexibility.

Neither is making a ton of money (in baseball terms). It's a couple of days worth of gate receipts for both.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Solid 2nd baseman on defense- hit .300+, with OPS ~.760 for June/July (which over a full season would put him between Hendrick and Kinsler among AL 2nd basemen) after coming back from injury and before more injuries set in-

The White Sox are not in a position to simply dump viable major league talent and get nothing in return- IF Beckham can do that over a full season- someone will want him and they can get some talent in return for their overall rebuilding.

DeAza could be very good 4th OF on a contender-

Talent like that can bring some return from a contender who gets hit with injuries during the season-

Their salaries will in no way impede whatever they plan on offering Tanaka-

Semian committed 28 errors across AA/AAA/MLB in 2013- so I'm sure they's like him to stabilize his defense with another year of minor league "seasoning" before asking him to be a starter at the major league level- which seems like a sound player development strategy to me-
I think there's a bigger sample size here already than just hanging your hat on June/July last season.

Yes, $4million is not a ton of money. But is still an unecessary scratch.

You start filling your roster with all these known (average/bad) commodities at $4 million per, and now you have $16 million wasted that could be paid to a star down the line, in July.

Just put a young inexpensive player in there.

Rebuild this thing.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
DeAza could be very good 4th OF on a contender.
No he can't. De Aza couldn't stay awake when he played everyday. Why do you think he'd be a very good fourth outfielder for any team, much less a contender? The guy got picked off nine times in 2013. And he had trouble fielding balls on the ground to his left or right, which pretty much means he had trouble fielding ground balls. That's not a good attribute for a Major League outfielder.

Hopefully this is only a prelude to finding a sucker to take De Aza. I'll be very disappointed if he remains on the team in 2014. He was the poster boy for the dumbest Sox team of my lifetime.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Let's look at the positives - De Aza will be riding the pine on opening day.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-18-2014, 04:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Let's look at the positives - De Aza will be riding the pine on opening day.
If he is on the roster at all. Right now the Sox (and other teams') pursuit of Masahiro Tanaka is essentially freezing the free agent market for pitching and may be delaying some trades that will happen.

I still expect the Sox to deal for a catcher and there are some interesting options out there. The Rays still have three catchers on their 25 man roster, including Jose Lobaton. The Yankees have 5 catchers on their 40 man roster. The Astros may look to deal Jason Castro if they cannot ink a long term deal with him. Same goes for the Orioles and Matt Wieters.

Might the Sox look to deal with the Rays, Yankees, Astros or Orioles for a catcher for 2014? Very possibly. Might De Aza be part of such a deal? It wouldn't surprise me. We just have to wait and see.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's hard to believe anyone would want De Aza back or have anything good to say about him if you watched him play throughout the 2013 season. When is the last time a player got picked off nine times in a year? And he sucked in the field. Plus he constantly moped out of the leadoff spot.

I believe Hahn is going to dump him. If that doesn't happen, we have bigger problems than De Aza, and that might be the case considering Ventura has returned.