White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 09:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Time to Go for it

The Sox have done very well retooling this year for the future. I think its time now to roll the dice and go after Tanaka. In the past 30 years the Sox have had one elite starting pitcher, BlackJack and Sale is right there knocking on the door. Thats 30 years of draft picks. The way baseball is these days, the Sox only way of getting a young elite pitcher is through the draft and as you can see that doesnt happen often. Money shouldnt be a problem going after Tanaka, it shouldnt hamstring the organization at all. Having two elite starters would put the Sox on the map and would lure FA's in the future. I am really tired of the Sox thinking small when they have the resources now to think and act big. I hope they are flying a slealth mission and are prepared to snag him to everyone's surprise.

Well at least I can still dream.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The Sox have done very well retooling this year for the future. I think its time now to roll the dice and go after Tanaka. In the past 30 years the Sox have had one elite starting pitcher, BlackJack and Sale is right there knocking on the door. Thats 30 years of draft picks. The way baseball is these days, the Sox only way of getting a young elite pitcher is through the draft and as you can see that doesnt happen often. Money shouldnt be a problem going after Tanaka, it shouldnt hamstring the organization at all. Having two elite starters would put the Sox on the map and would lure FA's in the future. I am really tired of the Sox thinking small when they have the resources now to think and act big. I hope they are flying a slealth mission and are prepared to snag him to everyone's surprise.

The offense is so far behind thay rolling the dice here might not make sense.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
The offense is so far behind thay rolling the dice here might not make sense.

Tanaka is 25, Sale will be 25, tons of money in the coffers for FA's, it wouldnt take that long.

And if you are right then Sale should be dealt.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 PM
MMXXIII

The Sox have enough money invested in relative unknowns in Abreu. Plus, in the Don Cooper era, they have not struggled to develop pitching nearly as bad as they have struggled to develop hitters. Personally I think any resources spend on exterior talent needs to be everyday, position players; they guys we can't seem to create in our own system.

But, I do like the attitude, and I won't be heartbroken if the Sox really shake up the baseball world. I just don't have a strong opinion, either way.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 12-26-2013, 10:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Sox have enough money invested in relative unknowns in Abreu.
Abreu is the only unknown the Sox have money invested in and unfortunately the other is known, Danks.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Banned

Tanaka is going to cost $20 million a year most likely. I'd be all for it, because I think Tanaka is going to be a Cy Young contender for the next half decade. But that kind of move, sadly, doesn't fit with the way we operate.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I don't think the issue is the Sox have been thinking too small- but that when they've decided to "think big"- it's been hit and miss- alot of money to Dunn, Peavy, Danks and Rios in the past few years- without alot to show for it for different reasons.

I've thought they might be going stealth on Tanaka- JR has openly said they have more payroll available- and all of Hahn's acquisitions so far have been relatively low cost and under control for a number of years.

They might make a run- but hard to see them outbidding NYY or LAD-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 12-26-2013, 10:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I don't think the issue is the Sox have been thinking too small- but that when they've decided to "think big"- it's been hit and miss- alot of money to Dunn, Peavy, Danks and Rios in the past few years- without alot to show for it for different reasons.

I've thought they might be going stealth on Tanaka- JR has openly said they have more payroll available- and all of Hahn's acquisitions so far have been relatively low cost and under control for a number of years.

They might make a run- but hard to see them outbidding NYY or LAD-
When I said think small, I meant the present with their current moves.

They may be outbid by yanks or dodgers but it still would be nice to see they tried.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:45 PM
WSI Personality

I would rather not tie up money in Tanaka at this time. It remains to be seen how all the pieces Hahn has picked up this offseason will pan out/progress. I say the Sox should continue to rebuild through the draft/trades. The other thing that scares me is that this year teams have opened up their wallets after showing some restraint for a few years. I think the price tag for Tanaka is going to be sky high.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
The other thing that scares me is that this year teams have opened up their wallets after showing some restraint for a few years. I think the price tag for Tanaka is going to be sky high.
He wont be cheap but the way things are going I dont see salaries going down in the coming years. Money is pouring in, clubs value is increasing and profits are very good.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:59 PM
WSI Guru

Does anyone know more about Tanaka's projection as an MLB pitcher? I feel like I've seen a lot written up regarding the posting system and NPB and MLB negotiating over changes to it, but relatively little scouting when it comes to Tanaka himself.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 PM
WSI High Priest

I was thinking, if the money is laid out the Sox should try to make arrangements with Gooch and Shingo to knock on Tanaka door with both wearing their World Series Rings.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:31 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:

imho pitching is not the problem...they need hitting.....when i see this lineup it depresses me BUT love the kids we have picked up were headed in the right direction....
Old 12-27-2013, 09:03 AM
WSI Regular

I totally agree that the Sox should get involved in the bidding. Sure it's a long shot but so was Abreau. He's a 25 year old top of the rotation starter with no draft pick compensation attached. Those just don't come around every year. With the new national tv money plus all the money they shed last year and will be shedding once Dunn is off the books, they can afford it. Get in the game and go for it. At the very least they would be driving the price up for the competition.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:21 AM
WSI Prelate

I'm fine with the Sox getting involved with the bidding, but I also believe that with the hype, no draft pick, and the Yankees needing the pitching, the price will be well above what any reasonable team will pay.
Otherwise, we don't have the foundation yet to seriously contend. Need double the number of real prospects we have, so that we can legitimately plug holes in July, and not harm our farm system. And we need basic competence at catcher and in the dugout.
I would be okay with signing Garza, but his price is going to be nowhere near what a 3 should be either. IF Danks pitches well, we will have at least 3 #3s anyway.