White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 PM
New At WSI

Default Go-Go White Sox

Is it just me or are the White Sox a stunningly "station to station" team? Just compared to Red Sox - historically a non-running team - White Sox stole 105 bases in 2013, caught stealing 42. Red Sox were 123/19. And 2014 may have even less speed with Garcia, Abreu. I get the feeling Williams - Hahn have no strategic vision for this team. They do not have a wealth of starters, as they would have you believe. You have to plan that at least one will be out for an extended period (remember Danks, Floyd?). What if is Sale? Look at Mets' Harvey and Nats' Strasburg.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1972 View Post
Is it just me or are the White Sox a stunningly "station to station" team?
The Sox problem is that they can't get to the first station to even be station to station. Speed, or lack thereof, only matters if you get on base.

"If he hit somebody, we canít charge the mound because heís too big." -Adrian Beltre on Adam Dunn
Old 12-09-2013, 01:09 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm 27 years old and I'm pretty sure the White Sox have been a station-to-station team for my entire life. White Sox baseball has lots of 3-run homers when its good, and lots of strikeouts and double plays when its bad. Despite Podsednik doing all sorts of flashy stuff on the basepaths in 2005, the team that won the World Series was largely dependent on people hitting it out of the park. Station to station baseball is not inherently bad and has won multiple World Series in the last decade, much of it for teams named after footwear.

I continue to believe that the issue the White Sox face right now is that they chased the postseason in 2009, 2010, and 2011 and came up short. That would have been an excellent time to rebuild. Instead, a lot of top-line players either were traded after their value decreased or left via free agency instead.

There's no obvious long term strategy for the Sox. Drafting their way out of this mess will require years and years of intentionally being bad, something the fanbase will have no stomach for, and further is based on the assumption that the Sox have somehow improved their ability to identify and develop talent. Trading their way out of this mess is no longer possible, there is nothing of value. Signing their way out of this mess is likewise impossible given how hot the FA market is right now.

I do not see a light at the end of this tunnel. Yes, I know my own history about making such predictions, but surely I have never been more justified in saying that.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Homers are at a premium now, it would behoove us to get more balance on the roster, and that means players who can hit for average, get on base and go first to third. Steals are a bonus.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

You don't think Garcia is fast?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Everybody's All-American

Chicks dig the long ball.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 12-09-2013, 09:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
There's no obvious long term strategy for the Sox.
They shed a couple of big contracts, signed Sale to a long term deal, traded for Garcia, signed Abreu and haven't gone after middle-of-the-road free agents.

I think the long-term strategy is pretty apparent. Go young, keep the valuable pieces and rebuild.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I'm 27 years old and I'm pretty sure the White Sox have been a station-to-station team for my entire life. White Sox baseball has lots of 3-run homers when its good, and lots of strikeouts and double plays when its bad. Despite Podsednik doing all sorts of flashy stuff on the basepaths in 2005, the team that won the World Series was largely dependent on people hitting it out of the park. Station to station baseball is not inherently bad and has won multiple World Series in the last decade, much of it for teams named after footwear.

I continue to believe that the issue the White Sox face right now is that they chased the postseason in 2009, 2010, and 2011 and came up short. That would have been an excellent time to rebuild. Instead, a lot of top-line players either were traded after their value decreased or left via free agency instead.

There's no obvious long term strategy for the Sox. Drafting their way out of this mess will require years and years of intentionally being bad, something the fanbase will have no stomach for, and further is based on the assumption that the Sox have somehow improved their ability to identify and develop talent. Trading their way out of this mess is no longer possible, there is nothing of value. Signing their way out of this mess is likewise impossible given how hot the FA market is right now.

I do not see a light at the end of this tunnel. Yes, I know my own history about making such predictions, but surely I have never been more justified in saying that.
No they weren't. They hit a lot of home runs certainly, but they weren't dependent upon it to score or win; there were a lot of ways they could beat you and the home run was just one option. Since the second half of 2006 the team has been dependent on the home run though.

Go Sox!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:32 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
No they weren't. They hit a lot of home runs certainly, but they weren't dependent upon it to score or win; there were a lot of ways they could beat you and the home run was just one option. Since the second half of 2006 the team has been dependent on the home run though.
They weren't dependent on their offense, at all, to win. The only way the Sox are replicating the '05 magic offensively and winning is if they also replicate the dominant pitching staff that team had.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

I love speed, defense and pitching. A leadoff hitter that gets on and creates havoc on the base paths is a key ingredient.(Pods) I'm hoping that L. Garcia can do that someday.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1972 View Post
Is it just me or are the White Sox a stunningly "station to station" team? Just compared to Red Sox - historically a non-running team - White Sox stole 105 bases in 2013, caught stealing 42. Red Sox were 123/19. And 2014 may have even less speed with Garcia, Abreu. I get the feeling Williams - Hahn have no strategic vision for this team. They do not have a wealth of starters, as they would have you believe. You have to plan that at least one will be out for an extended period (remember Danks, Floyd?). What if is Sale? Look at Mets' Harvey and Nats' Strasburg.
Did you watch Garcia play last year? Slow guys, don't play CF.He runs really really well not just for his size, but for any size.

No doubt they'll be station to station again this year but I expect a different team in 2015 with Dunn and Konerko gone. Strategic vision takes some time, and Hahn has only been at it for 1 year so far. As long as KW is not meddling I'm willing to give Hahn some rope.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012