White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,542
Default Closer options for 2014

Clearly, Reed is not suited for that role. Tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

I'm just gonna look to see who throws well in Spring Training and then give that person a shot.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 PM
mahagga73 mahagga73 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Downs, Il.
Posts: 585
Default

Agreed. He doesn't have the command to be top notch, I say move along and look for other options. He is unreliable and isn't getting any better.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 PM
roylestillman's Avatar
roylestillman roylestillman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Morgan Park
Posts: 2,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Clearly, Reed is not suited for that role. Tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

I'm just gonna look to see who throws well in Spring Training and then give that person a shot.
Not trying to make excuses, but Reed has not been the same since that stretch in August when he had six saves in six consecutive days. Could it be that he was just over extended?
__________________
2014 Home Attendance Record 4-10.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 PM
mahagga73 mahagga73 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Downs, Il.
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Not trying to make excuses, but Reed has not been the same since that stretch in August when he had six saves in six consecutive days. Could it be that he was just over extended?
He's a relief pitcher . He's just not all that good.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,161
Default

With the type of club they will have, a closer doesnt matter.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
With the type of club they will have, a closer doesnt matter.
I know, but that doesn't mean we can have a guy to blow ninth-inning leads for us every time he comes out of the gate. Why look forward to close victories if this is what to expect? It blows for morale. I expect to win in the last inning, not lose it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 19,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I know, but that doesn't mean we can have a guy to blow ninth-inning leads for us every time he comes out of the gate. Why look forward to close victories if this is what to expect? It blows for morale. I expect to win in the last inning, not lose it.
If there's a change (which isn't guaranteed), I imagine Jones will get first crack at it.
__________________
Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 5,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
If there's a change (which isn't guaranteed), I imagine Jones will get first crack at it.
Off Jones's last few, he ain't it either. Reed will get his slider back and be the closer next year.
__________________
Ya Ta Hey, Black Crow.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 PM
captain54 captain54 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Evergreen Park
Posts: 1,224
Default

I'm waiting for someone to drag the stats out showing Reed isn't all that bad as closers go
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:58 PM
mahagga73 mahagga73 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Downs, Il.
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain54 View Post
I'm waiting for someone to drag the stats out showing Reed isn't all that bad as closers go
No. the stats show him to be pretty average actually. Not even close to what would be considered lockdown or elite. I don't think stats are needed to understand he is just another guy with good stuff, the best closers have command and pinpoint control, Reed has neither of those.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I know, but that doesn't mean we can have a guy to blow ninth-inning leads for us every time he comes out of the gate. Why look forward to close victories if this is what to expect? It blows for morale. I expect to win in the last inning, not lose it.

Try one, then next and so on. I guess thats a committee.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 AM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Not trying to make excuses, but Reed has not been the same since that stretch in August when he had six saves in six consecutive days. Could it be that he was just over extended?
Robin had no choice, the Sox were gunning for a 65 win season and he pretty much had to go to his closer every single day.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 AM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Robin had no choice, the Sox were gunning for a 65 win season and he pretty much had to go to his closer every single day.
Reed has stats pretty comparable to Rodney, the closer for Tampa. Reed has 39 saves ( 5th in AL) and 8 BLS and Rodney has 36( 7th in AL) and 8. Both have appeared in 67 games. Rodney makes $2.5 mil and Reed makes $520,000. Grant Balfour is 6th in AL with 38 saves and 3 BLS. He makes $4.5 mil. Balfour is 35, Rodney is 36.

I think the Sox should stay w Reed unless they find a better option in house. Closers can be expensive and they are very up and down as evidenced by the careers of Rodney and Balfour.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,527
Default

The kid is 24. I think he could still work out. He has 8 blown saves, tied for 2nd highest in the league. Until last night, he had he same number as Rivera and Paplebon. I do think next year will be a make or break year for him, and he has to work on his endurance so he holds up over a long season.

In terms of command and accuracy, its all subjective. He has not walked many guys, but yes, he can miss up in the zone. But that is not uncommon for young relief pitchers. He has nice stuff as seen by a basically 7:2 K:BB ratio. He is not ELITE, but I think he could be reliable. I think his likely 40 saves to end the year will earn him another shot next year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM
mahagga73 mahagga73 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Downs, Il.
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Reed has stats pretty comparable to Rodney, the closer for Tampa. Reed has 39 saves ( 5th in AL) and 8 BLS and Rodney has 36( 7th in AL) and 8. Both have appeared in 67 games. Rodney makes $2.5 mil and Reed makes $520,000. Grant Balfour is 6th in AL with 38 saves and 3 BLS. He makes $4.5 mil. Balfour is 35, Rodney is 36.

I think the Sox should stay w Reed unless they find a better option in house. Closers can be expensive and they are very up and down as evidenced by the careers of Rodney and Balfour.
Reed has average stats at best as a closer, I would bet both those guys have better saves percentages , ERA, WHIP, etc. over the last couple years. I don't have to see stats anyway to know every Reed appearance becomes a near miss drama session, a walk here hit, bases loaded, walk off homer. There is no comparing him to any of the good closers in the game at all, stats or not.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.