White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Paid Tribute to Konerko on Wednesday

Took a few hours off from work on Wednesday to take in the game vs. the Twins- for the sole purpose of seeing Konerko play one last time before he (hopefully) retires.

I hadn't been to a game since July- and always like going to a September weekday game- I was hoping for one last PK homer, etc.

I sat in the same seats where I saw Paulie hit the grand slam off Qualls in Game 2 of the World Series- but in the last AB he struck out with a slow, lunging swing- looking like a few others when it's clearly time to hang it up (Baines at the end, Willie Mays with the Mets).

Paulie is on my short list of favorite all time White Sox- he's my wife's favorite player, and after 14 seasons- he's almost like part of our "family"- but I sure hope he decides to retire after this season.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 PM
MMXXIII

I like this post. I forced my wife to go to Mark Buehrle's last start in 2011... Man, it was a rainy, cold, and kind of miserable day (I ended up in the doghouse for that one). So I will probably have to make one last trip to the Cell this year to hopefully catch one more game from Paulie.

What a ride it has been.

Konerko was never my favorite player on the team, but he does hold a special place in my fandom. I didn't really become a Sox fan until around 1992/1993; I watched games on TV and **** but obviously didn't process or absorb too much of it before then. So guys like Big Frank and Robin and Black Jack were already up and established players. I didn't get to experience their whole career arc, from budding stars in the minors, to rookie seasons, and so on and so forth. I kind of cheated and came in the middle.

So anyways, the guys that became the core of those late 90s, early 2000's teams like Ray Durham, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee, and Konerko were the first players who really baptized me into being a baseball fan. I remember reading about Maggs' batting titles in Charlotte. I remember Carlos Lee before he was El Caballo. And I remember when Konerko was acquired for Mike Cameron. So it's odd that he's down to maybe a dozen or so games left in a Sox uniform. Oh, and I just turned 30 earlier this month, so I feel like there is probably some existential, "coming-to-terms-with-your-own-frail-existence-and-mortality" undercurrent here, but I'll leave that for the shrinks.

Good times, though. Good times.

Last edited by doublem23; 09-19-2013 at 04:30 PM.