White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 03:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Chris Sale Innings in 2014

There was a very interesting point on WSCR this morning about the innings Sale would pitch in 2014 and potentially even 2015 if the Sox are in the middle of a re-build.

Sox fans, do you want a guy like Sale on an innings limit later on in the year if the team is out of it? Not to say he would be shut down but maybe have a few starts off or not go as deep in the games if we have a big lead or deficit.

I'm not advocating for it, but I thought it was a point that could lead to interesting discussion at least for 2014.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Way too soon to even be talking about that, IMO. It would totally depend on Coop and Herm and whoever the manager is as well as where the Sox are in terms of contention, etc.

I'd leave it to the medical/baseball professionals, personally. I wouldn't even know where to start making that decision.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-11-2013, 04:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Absolutely, at this point, the only thing the Sox are achieving by starting Sale is a lower draft pick.

Line it up so he gets plenty of starts on Sundays so more people see him and keep his arm fresh for when/if he's actually ever needed in September/October.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Way too soon to even be talking about that, IMO. It would totally depend on Coop and Herm and whoever the manager is as well as where the Sox are in terms of contention, etc.

I'd leave it to the medical/baseball professionals, personally. I wouldn't even know where to start making that decision.
I get what you're saying about who needs to be in on the discussion, but why is it too soon? It is even a discussion to have this year as well.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Go to a 6 man rotation. Sale's not the only one out there who's been overpitched and could use some relief. More opportunity to give young guys a chance too.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Sale needs to build arm strength. Easing up on him and having him throw 150 innings next year and /or the year after could leave you in a predicament when yo do need him to pitch 220 innings. The Sox have been one of the most successful teams in baseball keeping their pitchers healthy. I think they know what they are doing better than any of us, but I am sure someone is about to tell me how wrong I am.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Sale needs to build arm strength. Easing up on him and having him throw 150 innings next year and /or the year after could leave you in a predicament when yo do need him to pitch 220 innings. The Sox have been one of the most successful teams in baseball keeping their pitchers healthy. I think they know what they are doing better than any of us, but I am sure someone is about to tell me how wrong I am.
You're wrong! Look at John Danks and Gavin Floyd!

Really though, that's completely true. Other than recent miscues in the last 2 seasons, the Sox have consistently kept their starters healthy.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Could you go 170-180 in 2014 and reasonably expect that he could make a jump to 200 in 2015 and then 220 in 2016?

That would be where I would want to talk to the medical experts is to what it takes to stretch someone out for 10-20 more innings in a year.

My personal thought: I don't want to see him over 200 innings next year if we aren't serious competitors. If it means 175...180...that's fine. If we have Floyd back and he starts in the pen, we need to see what he can do as an option back in the rotation.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
I get what you're saying about who needs to be in on the discussion, but why is it too soon? It is even a discussion to have this year as well.
I'd have the discussion about this year but would still defer to those in charge. Let them figure out if he needs the down time. Some guys do better with more work.

I can't see how we can have a discussion about what goes down 12 months from now. I don't expect to be able to recognize the team next season. I expect the Sox are going to spend a LOT of money in FA this off season and how that will impact next season only time will tell.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'd have the discussion about this year but would still defer to those in charge. Let them figure out if he needs the down time. Some guys do better with more work.

I can't see how we can have a discussion about what goes down 12 months from now. I don't expect to be able to recognize the team next season. I expect the Sox are going to spend a LOT of money in FA this off season and how that will impact next season only time will tell.
I hope you are right, but I expect you will be disappointed.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I hope you are right, but I expect you will be disappointed.
While I don't think the Sox are going to splurge for multiple top free agents, I don't think they're going to cut payroll in half from this season, either. Currently they have just $47 million on the books for 2014; which BRef estimates at $61 million once you factor in arbitration figures. While I think the 2014 payroll will be less than the $120 million opening day 2013 number, I think it will lie somewhere in between, perhaps around $90 million (a figure which is nothing more than a stab in the dark). Even cutting substantially from the opening 2013 number could mean signing a number of (perhaps lesser) free agents this offseason.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I wish I shared your optimism. The good news is that, whatever money they do spend on FA probably doesn't have to go toward starting pitching.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I wish I shared your optimism. The good news is that, whatever money they do spend on FA probably doesn't have to go toward starting pitching.
The Sox have a grand total of $48M committed to next year's payroll according to Cots. Even with raises coming for Beckham, Viciedo and Flowers (assuming they keep him) they should have 40-45M to spend just to get back to $100M (which they've easily averaged since 2006). That should net them a 3B and Catcher and hopefully an OF too with money left over to spend on RP and a #5 SP (if they think they need one).

I expect Beckham to sign a 4-5 year contract and they might try to lock in Tank for 3-4 years too, but expect both their 2014 numbers to come in at or below Sale this year (3.5 M). That's a total obligation of 55M - 40M if they trade Dunn.

All of this is before we even factor in the extra money they will get from the new national TV contract.

Even if they go really low on payroll due to obligations not met from this season they will have 25M or so to spend and I'll be shocked if they only commit 80M to payroll next year. They haven't been that low since 2005.