White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM
WSI Regular

Default 2014 Draft Class

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ears-1st-round

I hope that we draft Jacob Gatewood or Alex Jackson
Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

find the athletic guy who splits his time as a football player and raw with questionable plate discipline and you have your white sox pick
Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 PM
WSI Regular

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1310090.html
Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Prelate

At this point, I'd just like to see the Sox get a top 5 pick for next year.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
At this point, I'd just like to see the Sox get a top 5 pick for next year.
I'd put money that it's a top 3 pick.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
I'd put money that it's a top 3 pick.
Me too. Jackson looks like a heck of a player, but I doubt he goes any later than #2.

The real question is if the Astros first group of good prospects coming in by the end of this season (Cosart & Villar are already up - soon to be followed by Springer, Singleton and Wojciechowski) push their record higher than Miami's.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Inch Stick View Post
find the athletic guy who splits his time as a football player and raw with questionable plate discipline and you have your white sox pick
During last Friday's radio interview with Hahn during the break in the double header, he explained this kind of historic drafting method. His said the Sox had historically allocated very few dollars toward signing draft picks, so they essentially played the lottery with some guys who had high ceilings, but were also high-risk/high-reward (read: lower cost) alternatives. He admitted that not too many of the lottery tickets the Sox purchased were winners.

He also said that we could expect a different drafting style going forward under his revised method of payroll/budgetary allocation, with a greater amount of money earmarked for the draft (and international signings).
Old 08-17-2013, 12:51 PM
WSI High Priest

I normally HATE the idea that you draft for a need, but Tyler Beede is a great fit for us. A true number 2 with number 1 potential and is RH, who would slot PERFECTLY into the 2. Sale-Beede-Danks-Quintana is a great 1-4.

Some really good hitters early in the draft, and as long as we pick in the top 6, whoever we take will instantly be our top prospect.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:08 AM
WSI Personality

Well it's a 3rd pick in next years draft.
Lets hope they don't drop the ball

Always looking for Game used jerseys
Check out my collection at
http://whitesoxcollectibles.webs.com/
Old 09-28-2013, 12:59 AM
WSI Prelate

I don't trust this team drafting and developing position players.

Get the best stud arm available and hope to strike gold like they did with Sale.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Since we probably won't have a shot at Rodon, Tyler Beede is on top of my wishlist.

2014 MLB Draft Profile: Tyler Beede, RHP, Vanderbilt

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Banned

Here's ESPN's top 30 list. Insider required. http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1177
Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Since we probably won't have a shot at Rodon, Tyler Beede is on top of my wishlist.

2014 MLB Draft Profile: Tyler Beede, RHP, Vanderbilt
For the second round, you mean? He's probably a mid-late first rounder, but there's no way we should be taking him at 3. I know his velocity went up, but his control is pretty bad. He's not the kind of guy you take if you're drafting that high, especially in a draft with four or five other pitchers that have been throwing hard with the entire package. It's a good draft. No reason to reach.

I'd like to see us grab Alex Jackson. I know a lot of people see him moving positions, but if he sticks behind the plate he'd solve a lot for us. And that bat's gonna play no matter where he ends up.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
For the second round, you mean? He's probably a mid-late first rounder, but there's no way we should be taking him at 3. I know his velocity went up, but his control is pretty bad. He's not the kind of guy you take if you're drafting that high, especially in a draft with four or five other pitchers that have been throwing hard with the entire package. It's a good draft. No reason to reach.

I'd like to see us grab Alex Jackson. I know a lot of people see him moving positions, but if he sticks behind the plate he'd solve a lot for us. And that bat's gonna play no matter where he ends up.
I think Beede is going to dominate this year. Vandy has a good track record of developing pitchers and he's got plenty to work with. If he doesn't show significant improvement in his control, then I agree that you don't take him with the 3rd overall pick. But I think the kid is going to be a total stud.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

(1) The list you posted is one of the rare times Beede has been outside of the top 5-10 picks. Beede has a chance to be special if he can get the command back.

(2) Just a quick note, your ESPN article was written by my buddy Chris! Awesome to see him rising!