White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 01:35 PM
WSI Personality

Default Alexei and Gordon

Kind of lost in a lot of trade talk is Alexei and Gordon:

Alexei is up to .291. That is a very good average for a SS. Maybe somebody is tempted in the next 2 weeks to take him.

Gordon is still hitting in the .330 range. His number of AB have risen to over 160 so maybe he has found his stroke. I know the power is way down but a .300 gold glove second baseman is the start of a rebuild.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Kind of lost in a lot of trade talk is Alexei and Gordon:

Alexei is up to .291. That is a very good average for a SS. Maybe somebody is tempted in the next 2 weeks to take him.

Gordon is still hitting in the .330 range. His number of AB have risen to over 160 so maybe he has found his stroke. I know the power is way down but a .300 gold glove second baseman is the start of a rebuild.
Is he that though? Paying him is not without it's risks. 2B is a position we've got a little depth in the minors (albiet far away). I wouldn't bring Gordon back unless you can't get something for him. And even then, only short term. Given he'd fit well as an elite backup infielder on a contender, I'm not sure there won't be long term dollars for him at significant money.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Trade him if he has any kind of return, but in terms of rebuild - Gordon is actually the kind of player the Sox will be looking for.

Gordon will be affordable and may take a 4 year for 8.5 mil or so. Perhaps you move him to SS for a year or two if Alexei gets traded.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Beckham would be a liability at SS. You really don't want that on a rebuilding team. I'd prefer an all glove/no stick SS in our situation. I'd hold on to Beckham while we wait for some of middle infield prospects to develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 07-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
Trade him if he has any kind of return, but in terms of rebuild - Gordon is actually the kind of player the Sox will be looking for.

Gordon will be affordable and may take a 4 year for 8.5 mil or so. Perhaps you move him to SS for a year or two if Alexei gets traded.
With his defense and the year he's having a team like the Yanks would probably go 3-4 years at $5 million per or more to be the utility infielder. He's worth it to, in that role.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Yankees paid 12 million to have Youkilis play 3rd, Jayson Nix has started 70 games at SS, they have Overbay at 1b, and David Adams and Nunez have split time at third, and you think Beckham would be a utility player for them? Laughable man.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
The Yankees paid 12 million to have Youkilis play 3rd, Jayson Nix has started 70 games at SS, they have Overbay at 1b, and David Adams and Nunez have split time at third, and you think Beckham would be a utility player for them? Laughable man.
I don't think you trade Beckham. I think this team has more holes than tradeable pieces. You need a catcher, a 3rd baseman, a CF, RF( assume Rios goes) probably a 1st baseman. Unfortunately it looks like SS, DH and LF will have to stay. So trading Beckham would only open another hole unless you are convinced Gillaspie can play 2nd.

I am assuming Rios and Peavy and a reliever all get dealt. Possibly Keppinger and DeAza also go. I assume Konerko retires.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I don't think you trade Beckham. I think this team has more holes than tradeable pieces. You need a catcher, a 3rd baseman, a CF, RF( assume Rios goes) probably a 1st baseman. Unfortunately it looks like SS, DH and LF will have to stay. So trading Beckham would only open another hole unless you are convinced Gillaspie can play 2nd.

I am assuming Rios and Peavy and a reliever all get dealt. Possibly Keppinger and DeAza also go. I assume Konerko retires.
I think Rios, Peavy, and Crain are all gone, with Crain dealt within days of his return. As far as catcher, I think you see them go with Phegley and Flowers battling for it. I wouldn't mind a cheap veteran catcher as a mentor, but on the other hand, I don't mind having Flowers as a back-up because he'll be very cheap for a long time. With the C spot, I'd like us to finally draft one in the first or second round. I'm thinking if there is a good one available in the top 5 next year that we should nab him barring having a very top pick and a "can't miss" guy in there.

I don't mind having Beckham aboard at 2B but we have to work on his hitting, even upping his average 10-15 points would be huge. He can also swing over and play SS and 3B in a pinch. The contract situation will also be important. We might be able to do a Matt Thornton-type deal with club options getting pricier but it gives us the right to keep him if he's performing.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
We're talking next year. And I said a team like the Yanks. Pretty much any contending large market team would be interested. He can play three infield positions well and has pop. If this year is an aberration, he's still better with the glove and stick than most utility guys. Two million a year for four years is not going to resign him.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
We're talking next year. And I said a team like the Yanks. Pretty much any contending large market team would be interested. He can play three infield positions well and has pop. If this year is an aberration, he's still better with the glove and stick than most utility guys. Two million a year for four years is not going to resign him.
Are we talking about Beckham here?

He isn't a free agent until 2016.