White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 07:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Rebuilding the White Sox

I think it is fairly obvious that a majority of White Sox fans think that the 2013 season has been and will continue to be a disaster. Most call for a massive rebuild and I cannot argue with that.

However, I believe the White Sox need much more than that. A few years ago Rocky Wirtz saw that his team was a failure on the ice and at the gate. He began to make to serious changes, and the results have been amazing. The Hawks won a Cup that alluded them for almost 50 years. The United Center is rocking again. And even if the Hawks cannot beat the Bruins, they have accomplished a great deal in a short period of time. How did this happen? Business as usual went out the window. The Hawks have a chance to become a true, elite NHL team.

The White Sox need someone outside the organization to come in and analyze what has gone wrong. They are on the verge on their first last place finish in 24 years, and merely trusting Rick Hahn alone to turn things around doesn't make sense to me.

This organization has been on a treadmill. It is time for serious change - not only changing players.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I think it is fairly obvious that a majority of White Sox fans think that the 2013 season has been and will continue to be a disaster. Most call for a massive rebuild and I cannot argue with that.

However, I believe the White Sox need much more than that. A few years ago Rocky Wirtz saw that his team was a failure on the ice and at the gate. He began to make to serious changes, and the results have been amazing. The Hawks won a Cup that alluded them for almost 50 years. The United Center is rocking again. And even if the Hawks cannot beat the Bruins, they have accomplished a great deal in a short period of time. How did this happen? Business as usual went out the window. The Hawks have a chance to become a true, elite NHL team.

The White Sox need someone outside the organization to come in and analyze what has gone wrong. They are on the verge on their first last place finish in 24 years, and merely trusting Rick Hahn alone to turn things around doesn't make sense to me.

This organization has been on a treadmill. It is time for serious change - not only changing players.
Could not agree more.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 PM
WSI Personality

When the season started I thought the team might contend like they did in 2012. Up until 3 weeks ago the pitching staff held things together. The hitting and defense weren't any good. Now the entire team (pitching, hitting and defense) has collapsed. If there's any light at the end of the tunnel, I sure don't see it. It will be curious to see what Hahn does. I should point out also that everybody I have talked to tells me JR has no intention of selling the White Sox now.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 PM
MMXXIII

For ****'s sake, they just need to get some better players

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Sunday, August 4 - vs. Twins
Old 06-20-2013, 09:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
For ****'s sake, they just need to get some better players
Great idea, what a bunch of dummies we are around here not to think of that.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
WSI Guru

The Blackhawks analogy does not really work. They did not bring in someone from outside the organization to understand why things were going wrong and correct their ways. They built their team like a few others have, stink for years and get top picks. Setting aside the line about ownership, which will lead to disagreements about credit here, the team stunk for years and got back to back #1 overall picks. They drafted Kane and Toews and successfully built talent around them. While baseball is not as dependent on top picks as is any other sport, the Sox have not sucked for years to continuously get the top pick of talent at the top of the draft. My guess right now is that they'll be picking somewhere around #5 in the 2014 draft. Here's to hoping they can get someone a lot better than Gordon Beckham, and to getting much needed top talent in the organization as a whole.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Great idea, what a bunch of dummies we are around here not to think of that.

Bada Bing Bada Boom....

TDog pretty much summed up the fundamental baseball culture needed to pull up out of this nosedive of the organization. You as well I as I know it always starts with "Strength Up The Middle", Contact hitting, Good pitching and top notch fielding. Out of the 4 the Sox are lacking in three parts of the equation..

BK59
Old 06-21-2013, 11:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
When the season started I thought the team might contend like they did in 2012. Up until 3 weeks ago the pitching staff held things together. The hitting and defense weren't any good. Now the entire team (pitching, hitting and defense) has collapsed. If there's any light at the end of the tunnel, I sure don't see it. It will be curious to see what Hahn does. I should point out also that everybody I have talked to tells me JR has no intention of selling the White Sox now.
I am still trying to understand how a team of mostly veterans can all have down years at one time (almost all) and do it for half a season.

If you believe in reversion to the mean, then we are in for a lot of W's the second half.

In reality, this team is done and it's time to starting trading for prospects, dumping salary so we will have more money to spend going forward on FA's and, draft better.

Bob
Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

This season's shot so I have no problem giving Sale and Danks extra rest whenever they want/need it. There's too much time and $ invested to let them wear out on a pointless season.

Also the Sox won't move Sale since w/o him they have zero marketable players going forward. And it's not like Sale is exactly marketable. The Sox are too obsessed about their image to lose their sole star and half-personality.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post

So what you're saying is we need to be ****ty for a long time, hope the owner dies, and become trendy. Got it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
So what you're saying is we need to be ****ty for a long time, hope the owner dies, and become trendy. Got it.
They will be in the top 5 next year in drafting, if not top 3
Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

One of the strengths of the Sox organization has always been its loyalty, but there is a fine between loyalty and complacency or business as usual. Whether its in hiring coaches, managers and general managers from within to drafting relatives of the organization, the whole thing has gotten unhealthy. Loyalty often means keep your mouth shut. A healthy dose of an outsider coming in and addressing problems from the clubhouse to scouting to parking lot operations is sorely needed. Hell, Rocky Wirtz came in, saw how dismal concessions were at the UC and fired his own brother.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
So then stage 1 is going to plan then.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Next year's pitching crop is going to be very strong. if we draft in the top 5, we should be able to land a future #1, #2 type starter.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Next year's pitching crop is going to be very strong. if we draft in the top 5, we should be able to land a future #1, #2 type starter.
As awesome as the thought of having a 1-2 punch of Sale, Ace #2 is, I would much rather they get the next Frank Thomas or Ken Griffey Jr. Who are front runner position players for next year's draft?