White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 06:14 PM
WSI Guru

Default Joe West Does It Again...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,576961.story

Man simply has no common sense.

Lip
Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Lip
What did you expect him to do? After all, everyone's paying money to see him call games.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:

Lip
Um...

The VISITING team had scored in the 9th to take the lead. If he calls the game, they LOSE despite the fact that they were WINNING. Obviously the Cardinals wanted the game called. I'm not a huge fan of Joe West, but I appreciate the fact that he went above and beyond to make sure that the team that deserved to win the game actually did so.

If the White Sox lost a game because the umpires didn't wait out rain you would be blaming it on a 30-year conspiracy based on an off-handed comment that Eddie Einhorn made to Lee McPhail in 1982 and the MLB front offices have been extracting revenge against the Sox ever since.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
Um...

The VISITING team had scored in the 9th to take the lead. If he calls the game, they LOSE despite the fact that they were WINNING. Obviously the Cardinals wanted the game called. I'm not a huge fan of Joe West, but I appreciate the fact that he went above and beyond to make sure that the team that deserved to win the game actually did so.

If the White Sox lost a game because the umpires didn't wait out rain you would be blaming it on a 30-year conspiracy based on an off-handed comment that Eddie Einhorn made to Lee McPhail in 1982 and the MLB front offices have been extracting revenge against the Sox ever since.
Yeah, I fail to see what he "did" here.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Yeah, I fail to see what he "did" here.
My issue with the situation is that the game ended in the early hours of the morning on the same day in which West's crew had to be in Chicago to call a day game at the Urinal. To be fair, however, West did say that he "wasn't going to worry about the Cubs game until the previous game was over."
Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 AM
WSI Guru

Lp:

I'm sure ending a game at 3:35AM is 'fair' to the fans, you know the folks who pay the freight for this. To say nothing of the players themselves having to try to perform at that hour.

As far as a "conspiracy", I only pass along what I'm being told by folks who actually make their living in the game. Don't shoot the messenger, better yet feel free to put me on 'ignore.'

And I can in fact, quote you three games where the Sox lost because the umpires called the game in the same type situation. Twice against the Yankees in the 50's and once in Baltimore in 1971 after Mike Andrews hit a home run in the top of the 9th inning, the rains came, the inning was washed out and the Sox lost.

Nobody said life or baseball is fair is it?

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 06-04-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Lp:

I'm sure ending a game at 3:35AM is 'fair' to the fans, you know the folks who pay the freight for this. To say nothing of the players themselves having to try to perform at that hour.

As far as a "conspiracy", I only pass along what I'm being told by folks who actually make their living in the game. Don't shoot the messenger, better yet feel free to put me on 'ignore.'

And I can in fact, quote you three games where the Sox lost because the umpires called the game in the same type situation. Twice against the Yankees in the 50's and once in Baltimore in 1971 after Mike Andrews hit a home run in the top of the 9th inning, the rains came, the inning was washed out and the Sox lost.

Nobody said life or baseball is fair is it?

Lip
But the rules have been changed since then as it clearly states in that article.

Agree or disagree with the decision to not call the game, I don't see the issue here and the fans actually got to watch more baseball than they would have if he'd called the game 2 hours earlier (or whatever), so using the fans as an excuse seems counterproductive to your argument.

I don't see the issue here.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-04-2013, 05:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
But the rules have been changed since then as it clearly states in that article.

Agree or disagree with the decision to not call the game, I don't see the issue here and the fans actually got to watch more baseball than they would have if he'd called the game 2 hours earlier (or whatever), so using the fans as an excuse seems counterproductive to your argument.

I don't see the issue here.
I doubt there were fans left at the park at 3am.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I doubt there were fans left at the park at 3am.
The easy thing to do would have been to call it. I think he is an idiot but I applaud Cowboy Joe on this one.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Um...

Precisely

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Um...

I think they have changed the rules regarding these types of situations. I think now if the road team ties it or takes the lead, and the delay hits and the game is official, it becomes a suspended game.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I think they have changed the rules regarding these types of situations. I think now if the road team ties it or takes the lead, and the delay hits and the game is official, it becomes a suspended game.
I don't think that's correct. They have changed the rule, but according to the article, if the visiting team takes the lead, the score reverts to whatever it was following the last completed full inning, so the Cardinals would still have won despite losing the lead in the ninth, as they led 2-1 after eight complete innings of play.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I don't think that's correct. They have changed the rule, but according to the article, if the visiting team takes the lead, the score reverts to whatever it was following the last completed full inning, so the Cardinals would still have won despite losing the lead in the ninth, as they led 2-1 after eight complete innings of play.
That was the old rule. According to the MLB rule book, the article is wrong. See #5

SUSPENDED GAMES.
(a) A game shall become a suspended game that must be completed at a future date if the game is terminated for any of the following reasons:
(1) A curfew imposed by law;
(2) A time limit permissible under league rules;
(3) Light failure or malfunction of a mechanical field device under control of the home club. (Mechanical field device shall include automatic tarpaulin or water removal equipment);
(4) Darkness, when a law prevents the lights from being turned on;
(5) Weather, if a regulation game is called while an inning is in progress and before the inning is completed, and the visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead; or
Old 06-04-2013, 02:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
That was the old rule. According to the MLB rule book, the article is wrong. See #5

SUSPENDED GAMES.
(a) A game shall become a suspended game that must be completed at a future date if the game is terminated for any of the following reasons:
(1) A curfew imposed by law;
(2) A time limit permissible under league rules;
(3) Light failure or malfunction of a mechanical field device under control of the home club. (Mechanical field device shall include automatic tarpaulin or water removal equipment);
(4) Darkness, when a law prevents the lights from being turned on;
(5) Weather, if a regulation game is called while an inning is in progress and before the inning is completed, and the visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead; or
If that's the case, then it looks like West applied an obsolete rule to decide how to manage the conclusion of the game.