White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 10:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Default *Official* Get Here Quickly, Marlins Postgame Thread

Wish we could have gotten a sweep.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Our back of the bullpen is questionable. It's hard to get sweeps when we go to them en masse every 3rd or 4th game.
Santiago is really getting good. Tonight, off of 3 days rest.

We're going to have to hit against the Marlins. They won't score much, but we need to hit them.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:33 PM
WSI Guru

Default *Official* 5/22 Seeing "Red"; Red Sox-6 White Sox-2

Random Musings:

These guys just can't get back to a game under can they?

Nice to see Paul get the home run but the fact is right now, he and Dunn are killing the club in the middle of the order. Left seven on base tonight. Dunn, the cleanup hitter is batting .163, Konerko at #5 is hitting .224

I'm amazed at how bad Nate Jones looks. I honestly thought this kid was going to be a pretty solid bullpen guy for a long time. Maybe it's the sophomore jinx...maybe he's tipping his pitches but he looks completely clueless.

Speaking of clueless, I give you Brian Omogrosso and Donnie Veal. Brutal, just brtual...have no business being on the roster. I suspect when Danks gets activated, Santiago goes to the bullpen (they have to have a second lefty) and one of these guys is sent back to Charlotte. (Both should be released but that's just my opinion...)

Sox have won seven of the last 11 (which is good) but the offense still isn't close to being even average. In six of those 11 games they've scored three runs or less. The starting pitching has been giving them a chance but the offense still can't seem to consistently produce. Could Beckham make any kind of difference?

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 05-22-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Omogrosso, Jones, and Veal probably shouldn't even be on an MLB roster, but we need the pitching. TFlo is not ready to be a starting catcher.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 PM
WSI Guru

Great point about Flowers.

They let A.J. go and all Flowers has done so far is hit the occasional home run, strike out a ton, hit less than the Mendoza line AND is probably leading the league in passed balls.

Another great move eh?

Lip
Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Another Don Cooper bullpen implosion in the making here.
It feels like the same story every year. A ton of promise from the pen early and then the train wreck happens.

The guy who almost started the season on the DL and subject of trade rumors is the only shut down arm in the pen (Crain). The rest of them give you fingernail biting every time out. Reed has been good so far too, but there's still a little bit of un-easy feeling for me when he's out there. And his numbers are impressive so far.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
Omogrosso, Jones, and Veal probably shouldn't even be on an MLB roster, but we need the pitching. TFlo is not ready to be a starting catcher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

They let A.J. go and all Flowers has done so far is hit the occasional home run, strike out a ton, hit less than the Mendoza line AND is probably leading the league in passed balls.

Another great move eh?

Lip

And on top of that he was touted as a much better defensive catcher than AJ (definitely throws better) but the past two nights he has tried to backhand balls and they have wound up going to the screen. Cost a run tonight. And I don't even know our backups name. Giminez I think? Not a good situation.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Another Don Cooper bullpen implosion in the making here.
It feels like the same story every year. A ton of promise from the pen early and then the train wreck happens.

The guy who almost started the season on the DL and subject of trade rumors is the only shut down arm in the pen (Crain). The rest of them give you fingernail biting every time out. Reed has been good so far too, but there's still a little bit of un-easy feeling for me when he's out there. And his numbers are impressive so far.

And it seems like Crain has been used in about all of our games so far so you wonder how long he can keep it up...last night he looked like he was hanging a lot of pitches and he was fortunate to get away with it.

This bullpen and this team are an enigma.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 PM
WSI Prelate

The Red Sox had their best pitcher going, unbeaten with an ERA under 2, a well rested closer, who has been successful this season, and the White Sox had a bullpen pitcher who replace an injured starter in the rotation who in his last start reminded the Angels that they have a pretty good offense AND he was going on short rest because the staff ace couldn't go tonight.

I can't complain that the White Sox took two of three from the Red Sox this week.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Another great move eh?

Lip
Come on now. I loved AJ, but the Sox were in no position to hand out another bad contract to a veteran. If you are going to complain about Dunn, then you are not allowed to complain they let AJ go.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Come on now. I loved AJ, but the Sox were in no position to hand out another bad contract to a veteran. If you are going to complain about Dunn, then you are not allowed to complain they let AJ go.
They wouldn't have had to give out a bad contract to keep Pierzynski though. He only got one year from Texas. The Sox could have matched that deal. I wasn't necessarily opposed to moving on from A.J. What I don't like is they let him go without replacing him. Anyone with an IQ over 15 knew Flowers would not be an adequate replacement. Holes in his swing like swiss cheese, and all that "improved defense" talk was just that -- nothing more than talk.

Getting back to tonight's game, the Sox bullpen is looking thinner and thinner by the day. Once you get past Reed and Crain, there are problems. This was a winnable game until Omogrosso, Jones and Veal came on to commit arson. Santiago pitched a decent ballgame. Just didn't get much help.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-23-2013, 11:27 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Brian:

He signed a one year deal for seven million with Texas. The Sox I understand offered four million. I'm sure there was a number between four and seven that could have kept him here and to me that's not an unreasonable deal for a veteran.

Now if AJ was asking for a multi year deal with the Sox then you have a point and I agree with you.

-----------------------

Or a related note, has anybody noticed what Liriano is doing with Pittsburgh? Where was this last July??

Have been told that former Sox relief pitcher Ray Serage, now the pitching coach with the Pirates is vastly underrated in what he does.

Lip
Old 05-23-2013, 10:54 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:

Another great move eh?

Lip
Giminez has 4 passed balls of his own and he only plays once a week. Then you throw in all the wild pitches that should have been blocked, the missed tags and the dropped pop ups. On top of it all they are both automatic outs at the plate. Our catching situation has to be the worst in the league.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Another great move eh?

Lip

I guarantee he is with runners on third and two outs...!!! He is absolutely brutal at blocking pitches in the dirt, or off the corners a little. I still think Pheagley needs to come up and not wait until September.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Random Musings:

Nice to see Paul get the home run but the fact is right now, he and Dunn are killing the club in the middle of the order. Left seven on base tonight. Dunn, the cleanup hitter is batting .163, Konerko at #5 is hitting .224

Lip
Lip: I am disappointed, you being a stat guy. Paulie is hitting over .300 with runners in scoring position. Dunn is hitting .224 but the big problem is Rios who is hitting .179 w runners in scoring position