White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,201
Blog Entries: 1
Default *Official* 4-27 The Apathy Is Deafening TB 10 SOX 4 Postgamer

Not much good to come out of tonight's game.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 765
Default

Never anything good to come out of an injury but apparently we have a guy in Double AA- (Think it's Erik Johnson?) who has some pretty impressive numbers. Under 2 ERA, 25 strikeouts, 5 walks. Be interesting to see if he gets the callup.

Other than that, good fight in the 8th to bring the tying run to the plate. Moore dominated, simple as that.
__________________
TWTW
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,579
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Never anything good to come out of an injury but apparently we have a guy in Double AA- (Think it's Erik Johnson?) who has some pretty impressive numbers. Under 2 ERA, 25 strikeouts, 5 walks. Be interesting to see if he gets the callup.
I will just point out that now is not the time to rush prospects, if that's what we would be doing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,201
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Lip is right; every third year since 2001 seems to get detailed by injuries.

A dose of realism for the chicken littles: With his contract up after this season and his inconsistency, even a healthy Floyd was never going to bring much more than a B prospect in return.

If the season is going to go down the drain due to injuries, better that it happens now, before we get emotionally invested.

I had planned to watch Sunday's game on WGN, but I'd rather go to Costco.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Lip is right; every third year since 2001 seems to get detailed by injuries.

A dose of realism for the chicken littles: With his contract up after this season and his inconsistency, even a healthy Floyd was never going to bring much more than a B prospect in return.

If the season is going to go down the drain due to injuries, better that it happens now, before we get emotionally invested.

I had planned to watch Sunday's game on WGN, but I'd rather go to Costco.
Frater:

Complicating the situation is that the Sox don't have the minor league players who can step in and actually perform when injuries happen and they don't have the financial payroll ability to buy players at the deadline (in essence) to replace guys who are hurt or slumping.

Just another 'caught in the middle between a rock and a hard place' situation.

Also the Sox make a lot of the fact that over the past 10 years or so they have had a remarkable ability to keep guys healthy and on the field and that's exactly correct especially when you compare it to other teams.

However when the Sox have got hit by injuries as in the previous seasons I mentioned, they basically were done with little to no hope of being able to overcome them. Other clubs (the Cardinals come to mind) have been able to.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 PM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,650
Default

I complain about the Sox being predictable, but this is extreme, even for them.

https://twitter.com/ckamka/status/328335204294983681
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,367
Default

Guess who leads this team in strikeouts per AB?

Alejandro De Aza. Yes, over Adam Dunn. Congratulations.

.236 Avg and .274 OBP not gonna work from leadoff either.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2013, 11:25 PM
tstrike2000's Avatar
tstrike2000 tstrike2000 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 'Burbs
Posts: 5,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Guess who leads this team in strikeouts per AB?

Alejandro De Aza. Yes, over Adam Dunn. Congratulations.

.236 Avg and .274 OBP not gonna work from leadoff either.
I think Flowers wants to be the eventual leader in that category. He's been brutal over the last week or so.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,312
Default

At the rate they are going they'll be nobody left to play by Memorial Day.

This is 2001, 2004, 2007 and the stretch run of 2010 all over again.

Oh and injury or no injury Gavin Floyd sucks...period.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 17,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
At the rate they are going they'll be nobody left to play by Memorial Day.

This is 2001, 2004, 2007 and the stretch run of 2010 all over again.

Oh and injury or no injury Gavin Floyd sucks...period.


Lip
I agree. He's either missing the strike zone completely, or throwing meat up there.
__________________
Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-28-2013, 12:07 AM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike2000 View Post
I think Flowers wants to be the eventual leader in that category. He's been brutal over the last week or so.
Flowers leads right now in K rate. 36.1%, nearly twice the league average.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,312
Default

A few more thoughts if I may. Gonzo told me that scouts were actually looking at Floyd anticipating a Sox fire sale come July. You've got to figure with three trips to the DL for an elbow issue in less than a season AND (let's not forget) he couldn't finish his first two years with the club due to a hip issue, the Sox will be lucky to get a bag of balls for him even if he does come back to pitch.

Unfortunately it looks like another 9.5 million flushed down the toilet.

Offensively offensive numbers:

After tonight, the Sox are last in the A.L. in runs scored (3.3 per game)

The Sox are last in the A.L. in on base percentage (I think it's .277)

And the Sox are now 24-133 for the year with RISP. That's .180 for the year which God help us is actually an improvement. It was as low as .160.

When Floyd goes on the DL it'll be five (Septimo was removed from the list and sent to the minors where he can continue to feed his gopher ball)...four of whom were either starters or considered important pieces. Santiago according to Robin takes Floyd's place in the rotation.

This could be one of those seasons.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 15,762
Default

The Sox needed to get a well-pitched game tonight against Moore, and there were two innings where the Rays didn't score, despite getting a runner into scoring position in both. I wondered if Santiago simply didn't warm up sufficiently. Coming into the game with two outs, none on and two strikes on the hitter, he had the percentages on his side to finish the inning scoreless, and he could have given Floyd a statistical three innings tonight, because the third strike would have given the strike out to Floyd. (The report I saw showed Floyd left with two strikes anyway.) But even after Santiago left the game, it continued to be pad your stats night for the the Rays, even their sub-.200 hitters.

Maybe if Floyd hadn't gone down, the game would have turned out differently. The chance the Sox had was keeping the game close, wearing Moore down and getting to the bullpen. As it was, Moore left with a higher ERA than he came in with. The Dunn homer was hit while the game was still close. And it felt like Moore came out because he was tiring, not because of the big lead.

I wonder if it frustrates Rays fans to see their team seem to be able to score at will when their strongest pitcher is going after losing two close games.

Whether the Sox would have come back in a close game isn't certain. The Rays were trying to get innings out of their B relievers tonight. It was still good to see the tying run come up in eighth after all that had gone wrong tonight. If the bullpen hadn't allowed so many bad things to happen, this loss would have been downright frustrating with the Sox twice leaving the bases loaded.

Not the way I wanted to see Reed get the night off.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,579
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

Whether the Sox would have come back in a close game isn't certain. The Rays were trying to get innings out of their B relievers tonight. It was still good to see the tying run come up in eighth after all that had gone wrong tonight. If the bullpen hadn't allowed so many bad things to happen, this loss would have been downright frustrating with the Sox twice leaving the bases loaded.
Ventura essentially punted the game when he wouldn't get Santiago out of there. He tends to do that sometime - let pitchers pitch us completely out of the game. Maybe he didn't have much choice tonight, but, as you said, the Rays were using their B relievers, as were we.

It's one thing to lecture fans about Floyd being a 4th starter. The Sox don't think he is, as per the salary they pay him...that's the problem.

Fire Sale - just keep Peavy healthy and, honestly, maybe even Sale. And negotiate. No give aways.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 17,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Maybe if Floyd hadn't gone down, the game would have turned out differently. The chance the Sox had was keeping the game close, wearing Moore down and getting to the bullpen. As it was, Moore left with a higher ERA than he came in with.
1. Yes, the game would have turned out differently. The Rays would have had all 10 runs in the first four innings.

2. It is not hard to leave with a higher ERA when you came in with a 1.04 or whatever it was. 1 run in 8 innings would raise that ERA. Not exactly a bright spot to point out.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.