White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 04:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Default A-Rod bought medical records from Florida Clinic to destroy them?

Or at least that is what he's currently being accused of doing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/13/sp...uments.html?hp

A-Rod has denied the charges
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

A-Rod is a giant tool.

Can we move on with our lives now?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

No link, but Deadspin says that there may be incriminating documents on other players among the records that Rodriguez bought.

What a scumbag.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
No link, but Deadspin says that there may be incriminating documents on other players among the records that Rodriguez bought.

What a scumbag.
I'm not the least bit surprised that Rodriguez is involved in something like this. What I'm more concerned about is how or why someone working at a clinic is selling other people's medical information. Female colleagues of mine have gotten reprimanded for looking up their own charts to view information about their newborn babies. What in the blue hell makes people think it's acceptable to release sensitive information without the permission of the patients involved. Good grief!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I'm not the least bit surprised that Rodriguez is involved in something like this. What I'm more concerned about is how or why someone working at a clinic is selling other people's medical information. Female colleagues of mine have gotten reprimanded for looking up their own charts to view information about their newborn babies. What in the blue hell makes people think it's acceptable to release sensitive information without the permission of the patients involved. Good grief!
That's not illegal under HIPAA?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post

Guys, I don't think the employees at an illegal steroid clinic are too worried about breaking the law...
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
It is illegal if they're using their background as physicians to obtain the information. Any physician with admitting privileges at a particular hospital will be able to access the hospital computer system. If the hospital uses electronic medical records, it's extremely easy to look up information on oneself or one's child, both of which aren't allowed if you do as a healthcare provider.

Anyone who wants to see their own information or a child's info must do so as a patient or parental guardian and follow procedure. It's obnoxious, but I guess they're trying to keep the playing field equal, as other patients and families can't do the same.