White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 AM
vinny's Avatar
vinny vinny is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 3,500
Default Bo Knows Opening Day

Check it:

Quote:
Chicago White Sox@whitesox 45m
BREAKING: @whitesox announce @BoJackson will be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch on #OpeningDay. Only 6 days! pic.twitter.com/rjq3hfDVMc
__________________
2013: 4-4
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 AM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,882
Default

Bo's White Sox connection is puzzling. Danny Tartabull put up better numbers as a White Sox. I like Bo. I just don't think his White Sox career warrants throwing out the first pitch on opening day.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 AM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest Side, 60626
Posts: 1,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Bo's White Sox connection is puzzling. Danny Tartabull put up better numbers as a White Sox. I like Bo. I just don't think his White Sox career warrants throwing out the first pitch on opening day.
...swriously? Come on now. It's the first pitch of a baseball game. Not like he's being inducted into the team's hall of fame or something.
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM
amsteel amsteel is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,689
Default

Way awesome. I will never forget being at the game at which he rode the motorcycle onto the field.

Along with Common, last year, I'm a big fan of the last couple home opener first pitch throwers.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
...swriously? Come on now. It's the first pitch of a baseball game. Not like he's being inducted into the team's hall of fame or something.
I understand that, but his White Sox career is way overblown. When they show old highlights on the scoreboard at USCF, he is always referred to as a White Sox legend.

His actually career numbers with the White Sox weren't too different from Gordon Beckham's last season.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM
skobabe8 skobabe8 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Crown Point, IN
Posts: 6,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Bo's White Sox connection is puzzling. Danny Tartabull put up better numbers as a White Sox. I like Bo. I just don't think his White Sox career warrants throwing out the first pitch on opening day.
My wife threw out the first pitch and Bo put up much better numbers than she did. Point is, it doesn't matter. It's not about celebrating Bo's numbers. He was one of my all-time favorite Sox players because of the way he came back from injury and the HR he hit against seattle in '93.
__________________



www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
My wife threw out the first pitch and Bo put up much better numbers than she did. Point is, it doesn't matter. It's not about celebrating Bo's numbers. He was one of my all-time favorite Sox players because of the way he came back from injury and the HR he hit against seattle in '93.
I am just saying usually on Opening Day they have someone with some sort of deep White Sox or Chicago connection throwing out the first pitch. There are hundreds of people that have as much White Sox connection.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 8,804
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I am just saying usually on Opening Day they have someone with some sort of deep White Sox or Chicago connection throwing out the first pitch. There are hundreds of people that have as much White Sox connection.
Bo's White Sox career was marked more by special moments than gaudy numbers. He had his hip reconstructed and made it all the way back to play pro baseball again when most doctors told him he was done, so just putting that White Sox uniform on was an accomplishment. During his rehab, his mother passed away and he promised that he would hit a HR for her when he made it back. Bo made good on his word and blasted a HR on Opening Day for his mom. Bo's best White Sox moment came in the 1993 AL West clincher game when he hit a towering rainbow home run at New Comiskey sending the crowd into a frenzy. I still remember the classic Sun Times headline the next day: "The Crowing Bo-ment". Hitting a HR to clinch a division title gives him pretty good ties to the organization, no?
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Bo's White Sox career was marked more by special moments than gaudy numbers. He had his hip reconstructed and made it all the way back to play pro baseball again when most doctors told him he was done, so just putting that White Sox uniform on was an accomplishment. During his rehab, his mother passed away and he promised that he would hit a HR for her when he made it back. Bo made good on his word and blasted a HR on Opening Day for his mom. Bo's best White Sox moment came in the 1993 AL West clincher game when he hit a towering rainbow home run at New Comiskey sending the crowd into a frenzy. I still remember the classic Sun Times headline the next day: "The Crowing Bo-ment". Hitting a HR to clinch a division title gives him pretty good ties to the organization, no?
His HR was great, but it wasn't that huge. The Sox won the division by 8 games. If he didn't hit the homer and lost that night, they probably would have clinched some other night.

I'm not going to boo or protest this assignment, and as I have stated, I like Bo. I just think Bo's status as a White Sox is overstated.

If he wasn't the media and athletic sensation he was before he came to the Sox and accomplished the exact same things as he accomplished in a White Sox uniform, there wouldn't have been as big of a deal made about every little thing he did in a White Sox uniform. You may even hear griping about his hitless playoffs with a bunch of strikeouts when he actually popped off the Sox were playing a bat short when he was out of the line up.

Maybe they can get another White Sox legend, Ken Griffey Jr., to throw out the first pitch in 2014.

Bo should be known as a Royal and a Raider and an Auburn Tiger. His legendary status with those teams is well deserved. His legendary status with the White Sox is just a by product of his earlier success.

Last edited by dickallen15; 03-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 25,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Bo made good on his word and blasted a HR on Opening Day for his mom.
That home run landed seven rows directly in front of me. If you ever see a clip of it, look for a guy in a brown jacket with a red Sox hat on standing on his seat and then turning to his right to high five his buddies. That's me.

What were we saying while celebrating? "We're in the commercial!" We thought it would be a lock for a Nike commercial.
__________________

All hail The Rick
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 28,390
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
During his rehab, his mother passed away and he promised that he would hit a HR for her when he made it back. Bo made good on his word and blasted a HR on Opening Day for his mom.
Was the Opening Day HR in '92 or '93? I can't recall. If it was '93, it's a perfect 20th anniversary moment.
__________________


2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM
skobabe8 skobabe8 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Crown Point, IN
Posts: 6,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I am just saying usually on Opening Day they have someone with some sort of deep White Sox or Chicago connection throwing out the first pitch. There are hundreds of people that have as much White Sox connection.
Didn't Common throw out the first pitch last year?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 17,892
Default

Very cool, he isn't around enough.
__________________
Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
amsteel amsteel is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Didn't Common throw out the first pitch last year?
Yep
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:20 AM
SoxNation05 SoxNation05 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Palos Park
Posts: 1,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Didn't Common throw out the first pitch last year?
Common is from Chicago.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.