White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 AM
ohiosoxfan ohiosoxfan is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 247
Post Are we really going into the season with no veteran catcher?

I don't have a big problem with giving Tyler Flowers a shot to show what he can do as the starting catcher. . .BUT I am really surprised that we didn't sign a veteran catcher as a backup. I know Gimenez is a lefthanded hitter, but I figured that with all the veteran backup catchers out there as free agents that one would find his way onto our roster. But with Barajas signing with Arizona over the weekend, it looks like Matt Treanor is the only FA left out there.

What is Ramon Castro doing these days? With a year off, he should be well rested.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosoxfan View Post
What is Ramon Castro doing these days? With a year off, he should be well rested.
Signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM
ohiosoxfan ohiosoxfan is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 247
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers.
Thought he might have retired. . . another one we missed out on.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 AM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,293
Default

We're also going into the season with a DH that Ks or HRs, an LF that can't BB, a CF that's a career AAAAer until last year, and a soft hitting 2B who's time is almost up.

Every team is flawed, and I'm as excited to talk about tangible baseball topics as the next guy, but there are some things that aren't worrying about until late April/May when we actually have some samples to study.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,825
Default

As Sox fans we need to be ready once again for a season full of quality start loses by the pitching staff.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-2013, 12:20 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
As Sox fans we need to be ready once again for a season full of quality start loses by the pitching staff.
Hey now suit, leave the negativity to the experts!

Won't matter because it's not like our pitching staff is gonna put up many quality starts.

SEE! That's how to be negative!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
We're also going into the season with a DH that Ks or HRs, an LF that can't BB...
It blows my mind that Viciedo is always identified as the player on this team who can't draw walks. In his first full season, he drew a walk every 19.4 PA. Compare to established veterans like Rios, who drew walks at a rate of one per 24.7 PA, or Ramirez at 38.8. Still people argue Viciedo won't ever be an effective hitter based on his walk rate in his first full season as a full time major leaguer while claiming Rios is a solid choice as a third hitter when two out of the last four years he has put up numbers that make Viciedo look like Reggie Jackson in comparison.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
It blows my mind that Viciedo is always identified as the player on this team who can't draw walks. In his first full season, he drew a walk every 19.4 PA. Compare to established veterans like Rios, who drew walks at a rate of one per 24.7 PA, or Ramirez at 38.8. Still people argue Viciedo won't ever be an effective hitter based on his walk rate in his first full season as a full time major leaguer while claiming Rios is a solid choice as a third hitter when two out of the last four years he has put up numbers that make Viciedo look like Reggie Jackson in comparison.
It has more to do with the K:BB ratio. None of those guys walk, but Viciedo K's like 5 times more than his miniscule walks. He has obvious trouble with strike zone judgement, and actually walks more because of it, because pitchers are more likely to throw pitches WAY out of the zone multiple times in an at bat. There's a better than decent chance it'll turn into a swing and miss.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Falstaff Falstaff is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosoxfan View Post
I don't have a big problem with giving Tyler Flowers a shot to show what he can do as the starting catcher. . .BUT I am really surprised that we didn't sign a veteran catcher as a backup. I know Gimenez is a lefthanded hitter, but I figured that with all the veteran backup catchers out there as free agents that one would find his way onto our roster. But with Barajas signing with Arizona over the weekend, it looks like Matt Treanor is the only FA left out there.

What is Ramon Castro doing these days? With a year off, he should be well rested.
I am thinking its time for Sandy Alomar to return to the White Sox. Its been a few years since we relied on him, should be fresh. Also maybe Carlton Fisk will get some kind of community service for the cornfield incident, and be required to catch one game a week? Grasping at straws, but yeah, we need vet backup. Wasn't Hank Allen a BP catcher?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 826
Default

If this team comes out and tanks I will be more upset than at any point in my time as a Sox fan...there has been very little effort to address any of our needs this offseason. It is very frustrating. Its like they just want to stay in a perpetual state of mediocrity...do something Hahn!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is online now
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 29,010
Default

It does appear, however, that we will be going into the season with quite a few veteran kvetchers.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,244
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
If this team comes out and tanks I will be more upset than at any point in my time as a Sox fan...there has been very little effort to address any of our needs this offseason. It is very frustrating. Its like they just want to stay in a perpetual state of mediocrity...do something Hahn!
I'm really not sure how much more anyone could have expected the Sox do to this offseason. Payroll's already stretched thin and the farm system is absolutely atrocious, there's not much wiggle room. But they will be chipping $32 and $41 million of salaries off the books in the next two years so there will be some money then, and hopefully Hahn is a little more proactive at building something in the minors.

This team is in really bad shape right now, it's definitely going to be muliyear process.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 PM
DeadMoney DeadMoney is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm really not sure how much more anyone could have expected the Sox do to this offseason. Payroll's already stretched thin and the farm system is absolutely atrocious, there's not much wiggle room. But they will be chipping $32 and $41 million of salaries off the books in the next two years so there will be some money then, and hopefully Hahn is a little more proactive at building something in the minors.

This team is in really bad shape right now, it's definitely going to be muliyear process.
Exactly.

For all of the people saying they didn't do enough... What did you want/expect them to do this off-season?

I know a lot of the criticism comes from not filling up the catcher spot with a veteran and not getting a left-handed bat. And in turn, many jump on not re-upping with Pierzynski as the evidence of the team not doing enough this off-season (which would've filled both holes). Well, another year of AJ at $7.5M is a $7.5M they couldn't have paid Peavy/Floyd/Lindstrom/Keppinger. On top of that, they would've set themselves back another year in finding out if Flowers can offensively contribute at this level.

Again, I'm not supporting the decisions made this off-season, but I understand. With significant money coming off of the books over the next two seasons, it certainly seems like they let Hahn transition into the GM role during an off-season with which they had little flexibility.

I'll admit, there isn't a lot to be overly excited about with the 2013 team, but I'm just trying to accept the following and hope for the best...
This team spent 126 days in First Place last season. And, nearly the same team adds a hopefully healthy Danks, a strong bullpen arm in Lindstrom, a 3B who can't be any worse than what we saw for 6 months (sans a 2-3 week period), and the continued development of LF (who's still only 23 years old), 2B (at that hopefully special breakout age of 26-27), SP #1, SP #4, SP #5, and a very young bullpen. We lost a big LH bat and offensive force at catcher, but replaced him with a sound defensive replacement who most would argue calls a better game.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-11-2013, 03:40 PM
gobears1987 gobears1987 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: From the Mideast to the Midwest
Posts: 12,756
Default

Rebuilding is going to be a multi-year process. We'll stink this year (next year too), but if the right move are made I can live with it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

This team is in really bad shape right now, it's definitely going to be muliyear process.
Reading this board, I thought we were World Series bound. This is the most level-headed thing anyone's said in a while.

Cue the negative post bashing...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.