White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default Sox Seek More Offensive Balance...

According to Hahn. Wise decision, Rick:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,235471.story

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM
CoopaLoop CoopaLoop is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 1,898
Default

They need guys who get on base. Far too many low OBP guys in the lineup.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
They need guys who get on base. Far too many low OBP guys in the lineup.
Bingo. I don't care if you don't buy into OBP as a great indicator of offensive value--this team needs guys who can get on.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Bingo. I don't care if you don't buy into OBP as a great indicator of offensive value--this team needs guys who can get on.
Agreed. We have too many low average, low OBP guys in our lineup (and it will be even worse if Flowers takes over for Dunn). Last year we had one guy with over 100 ABs and an OBP over .350 and only four guys who hit over .270, if AJ leaves that would leave three guys who hit over .270; and I am still not so sure I trust Rios' consistency.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,787
Default

Zero flexibility Hahn, Zero.

Balance would mean you would have to move 4-5 guys. Not gonna happen.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,245
Default

I assume these thoughts Hahn has are for the more distant future, not next year.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
palehozenychicty palehozenychicty is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,312
Default

We've all long known that. Let's see how they accomplish that balance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 824
Default

If it's not going to be through free agency then you have to give up something of value to get a good return. We are pretty limited in that regard due to age, contracts, ect. I guess Jones and Tank would be our most valuable pieces.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,436
Default

Talk is cheap. Sox management has been telling us for years about their desire for more offensive balance. It's kind of like how Ozzie used to say year after year that this team needs to get better at fundamentals.....but then nothing ever changed.

Just empty words. I'll believe it when I see it. At least I'll give Hahn the benefit of the doubt since he's new. But, he's got his work cut out for him. I don't think KW left him with much flexibility to work with.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,727
Blog Entries: 1
Default

There is room for a few fixes. I think we're all OK with the job DeAza has done last year, though my only question about him is if he hits leadoff or #2 going forward.

If Youk is gone, that leaves a gaping hole in the 2 spot, and it seems that it would be more cost effective to get an average speed/on-base guy to lead off (with DeAza at #2) than it would be to get an above-average contact hitter with some speed and a little pop. I've mentioned Polanco and Keppinger as lower cost alternatives for 3B/#2 in other posts, but I'd hope for someone younger and better going down the road.

Dunn seems to do better in #3, leave him there. Pretty doubtful that he's moved, but it would solve a ton of issues.

Paul at #4 and Rios at #5 are set for another year.

Alexei at #6 could be a good trade chip, especially if the Sox think Carlos Sanchez is ready.

#7-9 Viciedo, Flowers and Beckham are the prime trade chips. If the Sox can improve run production (not just a few homers and little else) in the lower half of the order, that would make a big difference. I doubt Flowers will be given a full-time role unless he can hit better, and has a better chance of being moved than sticking as a full-time regular.

Would love A.J. to come back and plug a hole for a year, but that doesn't sound too likely right now.

Last edited by russ99; 12-04-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
There is room for a few fixes. I think we're all OK with the job DeAza has done last year, though my only question about him is if he hits leadoff or #2 going forward.

If Youk is gone, that leaves a gaping hole in the 2 spot, and it seems that it would be more cost effective to get an average speed/on-base guy to lead off (with DeAza at #2) than it would be to get an above-average contact hitter with some speed and a little pop. I've mentioned Polanco and Keppinger as lower cost alternatives for 3B/#2 in other posts, but I'd hope for someone younger and better going down the road.

Dunn seems to do better in #3, leave him there. Pretty doubtful that he's moved, but it would solve a ton of issues.

Paul at #4 and Rios at #5 are set for another year.

Alexei at #6 could be a good trade chip, especially if the Sox think Carlos Sanchez is ready.

#7-9 Viciedo, Flowers and Beckham are the prime trade chips. If the Sox can improve run production (not just a few homers and little else) in the lower half of the order, that would make a big difference. I doubt Flowers will be given a full-time role unless he can hit better, and has a better chance of being moved than sticking as a full-time regular.

Would love A.J. to come back and plug a hole for a year, but that doesn't sound too likely right now.
This thread is basically about improving the team's obp. You want to accomplish that by getting rid of Dunn and Flowers while keeping AJ?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
This thread is basically about improving the team's obp. You want to accomplish that by getting rid of Dunn and Flowers while keeping AJ?
Dunn only put up a .333 OBP last year and I would be stunned if Flowers put up much more than AJ's OBP.

While the White Sox need to improve their OBP I think they also need to improve their batting average. They might have five guys in their lineup who hit below .260.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Procol Harum Procol Harum is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 3,774
Default

Anybody seen any info on where AJ might be getting some free agent interest? It sure would be a lot more strategic for the Sox to make a move if they know he's heading out of the AL, or--at least--the division. I know I don't want to see that guy catching against us for 18 games a season...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Dunn only put up a .333 OBP last year and I would be stunned if Flowers put up much more than AJ's OBP.

While the White Sox need to improve their OBP I think they also need to improve their batting average. They might have five guys in their lineup who hit below .260.
If you look at who potentially may produce high OBP, Flowers and Dunn are 2 of the better available options.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
This thread is basically about improving the team's obp. You want to accomplish that by getting rid of Dunn and Flowers while keeping AJ?
2012:
Dunn's OBP: .333
Pierzynski's OBP: .326
Flowers OBP: .296

2011:
Dunn's OBP: .292
Pierzynski's OBP: .323
Flowers OBP: .310

I don't know how feasible it is to move Dunn, but I don't think trading him would be any big loss to the team's OBP. He hasn't been a high OBP guy since moving to the American League.

Obviously, neither Pierzynski nor Flowers would be considered a high OBP guy.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 7-9; Total: 125-99.
Next game: April 2015

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.