White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 PM
WSI Personality

Default Nearing the anniversary...

Of one of the greatest trades in White Sox history (just in my opinion)

Sent Rowand to Phillie and got future Hall Of Famer Jim Thome. I hated to lose Rowand but this deal was too good to pass up. I don't know if I've ever been as excited to be a fan as I was during that offseason. Coming off the WS Title our 3-4-5 was set up to be Thome, Dye, Konerko...ahh what might have been.

Nevertheless that 2006 team was super fun to watch on offense. Almost hard to believe a White Sox team could score with such ease.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 PM
WSI Village Atheist

That was a two-sided trade. The left-handed power was awesome. The hole in center field took six years to fill in.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W
August 30 (2) L
September 14 L
September 27 W

Next Game: ??
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
That was a two-sided trade. The left-handed power was awesome. The hole in center field took six years to fill in.

Very true. Although at the time it seemed like we had a pretty sure thing in BA...he held up defensively but obviously didn't produce with the bat.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:44 PM
WSI High Priest

This is hardly something to celebrate an anniversary of. What good did this do the team?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:44 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvora View Post
This is hardly something to celebrate an anniversary of. What good did this do the team?
Game 163?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Just saying that at the time when the trade was made I don't think I've ever been as optimistic. We had just won a world championship and a month later we were actually better. Plus the fact we got Thome for Rowand is still kind of mind-boggling to me.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 PM
WSI Personality

Next time, we'll celebrate the Ken Griffey Jr. trade.

"I give you five minutes when we get there. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything a minute on either side of that and you're on your own. I don't sit in while you're running it down. I don't carry a gun. I drive."
Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
How about bringing in a class act who is almost universally loved and played his ass off for us? I don't get the point of the unnecessary negativity.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

I disagree. Frank Thomas had a monster 2006. Frank and Roward is much better than Thome and Brian Anderson. So the net of that trade may have cost us another title. We'll never know.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Rowand would have also become part of that "hole in center field" by 2007 or 2008..
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
What he said. Everyone agrees Thome is a great guy and possible future HOFer, but BA always had that deer in the headlights look at every bat, and the rotation of players after him cost us dearly. All Thome brought was his bat with no defense to patch the loss of Rowland.

My opinion on hearing about that trade was "we just ran the table and won the W.S., team chemistry was working, why break things up?". Seven years later, I feel the same.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsolo View Post
What he said. Everyone agrees Thome is a great guy and possible future HOFer, but BA always had that deer in the headlights look at every bat, and the rotation of players after him cost us dearly. All Thome brought was his bat with no defense to patch the loss of Rowland.

My opinion on hearing about that trade was "we just ran the table and won the W.S., team chemistry was working, why break things up?". Seven years later, I feel the same.
Absolutely! I felt the same way then and I do today. Also that trade which
lost El Duque and brought Viz... ya, that was another head scratcher and many on boards questioned at the time.

I think they placed excess faith in the Brian Anderson machine. IIRC, he had an OK debut but Oz insisted BA bat more for power than average; the
result was neither power nor avg. Will always cherish a certain catch at end of 2008 tho.

Also we really got the best years of Jermaine Dye, he carried the club with his big stick. Till time suddenly caught up. BTW did he ever officially retire?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Absolutely! I felt the same way then and I do today. Also that trade which
lost El Duque and brought Viz... ya, that was another head scratcher and many on boards questioned at the time.

I think they placed excess faith in the Brian Anderson machine. IIRC, he had an OK debut but Oz insisted BA bat more for power than average; the
result was neither power nor avg. Will always cherish a certain catch at end of 2008 tho.

Also we really got the best years of Jermaine Dye, he carried the club with his big stick. Till time suddenly caught up. BTW did he ever officially retire?

Yes I believe he did at the start of this year. Or maybe it was last year. Don't remember but I'm positive he did officially announce it.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Of one of the greatest trades in White Sox history (just in my opinion)

Sent Rowand to Phillie and got future Hall Of Famer Jim Thome. I hated to lose Rowand but this deal was too good to pass up. I don't know if I've ever been as excited to be a fan as I was during that offseason. Coming off the WS Title our 3-4-5 was set up to be Thome, Dye, Konerko...ahh what might have been.

Nevertheless that 2006 team was super fun to watch on offense. Almost hard to believe a White Sox team could score with such ease.
That wasn't a great trade. We gave up Gio as well. Rowand signed a huge contract out of that year in Philly.
The great trade was getting Gio and Floyd for Garcia.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM
WSI Personality

I just think the discrepancy in talent (with absolutely no offense to Aaron...he was a solid, solid player with us) is what made it so great.

Essentially we traded a decent center fielder for one of the best hitters in the game which once again gave us a killer 3-4-5 combination. While 2006 will always be a major disappointment because of the fade at the end, the fact that we were in a legitimate chance to repeat as world champions was amazing.