White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Unrequited Love

The passing of Pascual Perez got me thinking about his brother, Melido. I had an inexplicable love for the right handed Dominican, and an completely unsubstantiated belief that, given enough time, he could become a dominant starter for the Sox. I looked at Melido Perez and I saw the next Juan Marichal. That obviously never took place, and to this day I have no explanation for what I saw in this guy and his game that led me to these absurd conclusions.

So, since we are headed into the cold dark days of the offseason, who was your guy? Who was the Sox player or prospect that you were damned certain was going to become the next Babe Ruth or Cy Young, who never turned into the all-star you had always dreamed he would be, and, in the words of Bart Giamatti, left you to "face the fall all alone."
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

I guess I'm not the greatest evaluator of talent because I've had more than a few of them. How about Fred Talbot, Ken Kravec and Chris Singleton for starters. Especially Ken Kravec.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Ken Hill

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM
MMXXIII

Mike Sirotka. Still have a jersey of his that I wear to the park on occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
The passing of Pascual Perez got me thinking about his brother, Melido. I had an inexplicable love for the right handed Dominican, and an completely unsubstantiated belief that, given enough time, he could become a dominant starter for the Sox. I looked at Melido Perez and I saw the next Juan Marichal. That obviously never took place, and to this day I have no explanation for what I saw in this guy and his game that led me to these absurd conclusions.
You shouldn't be quite so hard on yourself about Perez, even though he was never more than a middle of the road kind of pitcher with the Sox, he did seem to turn a corner in 1992, his first season with the Yankees. He was only 26 years old, posted a 2.87 ERA in 247 IP, struck out 218 (2nd in the AL behind only Randy Johnson). Unfortunately, I think he developed elbow problems either that year or in 1993 and that effectively ended his career. Sadly for him, reconstructive elbow surgery was still in its relative infancy compared to today. Had he come along maybe 10 years later his career may have been prolonged.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck

Last edited by doublem23; 11-02-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM
WSI Regular

Greg Hibbard was my favorite pitcher on the 1990 team, which is my favorite non-2005 Sox team. I remember being disappointed when they lost him in the expansion draft and then he ended up having a pretty good year for the Cubs in 1993. Then he got hurt and was done.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Joe Borchard, McKay Christiansen and Nyls Nyman.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

For some reason, I was really hoping Danny Richar would become a dangerous gap-hitting moderate-power high-average second baseman. It was probably just a case of trying to find something positive during the second half of 2007, or it might have been because he hit a homer just a few rows from where I was sitting at the Jim Thome bobblehead walkoff game in September that month.

I also had an unhealthy hope for Kip Wells. That was probably partly due to the perfect storm of the Sox' farm system being overhyped, the availability of internet baseball news and scouting info exploding around that time, and me being in high school and gobbling it all up all the time.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
For some reason, I was really hoping Danny Richar would become a dangerous gap-hitting moderate-power high-average second baseman. It was probably just a case of trying to find something positive during the second half of 2007, or it might have been because he hit a homer just a few rows from where I was sitting at the Jim Thome bobblehead walkoff game in September that month.

I also had an unhealthy hope for Kip Wells. That was probably partly due to the perfect storm of the Sox' farm system being overhyped, the availability of internet baseball news and scouting info exploding around that time, and me being in high school and gobbling it all up all the time.
Yeah, Kip Wells definitely. And here's the thing. When Kip came up for the first time in the 2nd half of, I want to say, 1999 . . . he was ****ing awesome. He was fanning people left and right and simply dominating.

Then, next season came around people thought he'd be our ace and he struggled right out of the gate and never again looked like he did in his first couple months of the majors. It ended up being Garland in the rotation for the 2nd half of 2000, not Kip.

It was just weird. Maybe he injured something and we just never heard about it.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:41 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulTerritory View Post
Yeah, Kip Wells definitely. And here's the thing. When Kip came up for the first time in the 2nd half of, I want to say, 1999 . . . he was ****ing awesome. He was fanning people left and right and simply dominating.

Then, next season came around people thought he'd be our ace and he struggled right out of the gate and never again looked like he did in his first couple months of the majors. It ended up being Garland in the rotation for the 2nd half of 2000, not Kip.

It was just weird. Maybe he injured something and we just never heard about it.
Didn't Kip get hit by a line drive or something in spring training 2000 and after that he seemed really timid on the mound?

And my player would probably be Joe Borchard. All the hype from when he was drafted through his minor league service up until he homered in his first game, and it just never happened. Although he's the reason the Sox got Matt Thornton so there's that one positive.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

No doubt, Lance Johnson. The 40+ SB years in the St. Louis system made me think he was the going to be the next Rickey Henderson after he got dealt here.

To a lesser extent, Carlos Lee after his first AB homer and games thereafter, I thought Chad Bradford was going to be our best closer ever, and I really liked Alan Bannister during the South Side Hit Men days.

As far as players who didn't end up having a decent career, there's hundreds.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned

Gordon Beckham.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Lyle Mouton. Big man who played in the SEC. I thought he was going to be the second coming of Big Frank.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Jeremy Reed and Danny Richar.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Jason Bere.

OMG was he good with that mid 90s FB to go with the Fosh Ball.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 PM
WSI Prelate

I thought Chris Getz would be a good lead off hitter for years to come. I also liked Lillibridge more than I should have.

Go Sox!!!