White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 AM
WSI Guru

Default Kenny's First Comments On Off-Season...

"One of the biggest questions moving into this off season will be how many left handers can you have in your rotation..."-- Kenny Williams

Gonzo also talks to players to get their thoughts. Youk says where he signs will be in large part based on what his family thinks is best.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,142081.story

Lip
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 AM
WSI Prelate

Youk is not the 2013 3B solution. I wish him the best.

If Quintana is back as anything but the 5th starter, we gots some trouble.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Youk is not the 2013 3B solution. I wish him the best.

If Quintana is back as anything but the 5th starter, we gots some trouble.
The problem is the Sox do not have a better in-house 3B solution and the free agent list is rather thin at that position. And I don't think they have much to work with for a trade (Quintana for a youngish, overlooked 3B, maybe?).
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The problem is the Sox do not have a better in-house 3B solution and the free agent list is rather thin at that position. And I don't think they have much to work with for a trade (Quintana for a youngish, overlooked 3B, maybe?).
I'd rather have one of us at 3rd than Youk for 13M. That contract is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-04-2012, 12:55 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I'd rather have one of us at 3rd than Youk for 13M. That contract is awful.
They can deny the option and try to sign him to a cheaper deal as I have seen speculated elsewhere; and have also seen the same in regards to Peavy.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

We should exercise the option on Floyd and let everyone else walk. None of those guys is going to be worth the money they receive. A.J. was great for us, but I wouldn't be surprised to see our pitching improve with him gone. His attitude isn't conducive to working well with pitchers and his pitch-calling seems to be getting worse with age for some reason. Peavy had a really good season, and I'm guessing he's going to have an even better year in 2013, but I don't trust his health enough to give him big money. Youkilis looks like his gas tank is nearing empty.

Last edited by BainesHOF; 10-04-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
They can deny the option and try to sign him to a cheaper deal as I have seen speculated elsewhere; and have also seen the same in regards to Peavy.
How often does this happen? Some people have damn near the whole team taking a "hometown discount." Peavy, AJ, Youk... I'm sure they'd all be willing to give up millions to play for 24,000 fans in a playoff race.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM
WSI Prelate

The Sox would provide a low-pressure environment in which Hamilton could have a minimum of scrutiny, and he might be willing to sign for a relatively low dollar, one-year deal in the hope that he rebounds and then cashes in with a multi year deal in 2014. If that unlikely scenario unfolded, the Sox could trade Rios to save salary and upgrade elsewhere.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
The Sox would provide a low-pressure environment in which Hamilton could have a minimum of scrutiny, and he might be willing to sign for a relatively low dollar, one-year deal in the hope that he rebounds and then cashes in with a multi year deal in 2014. If that unlikely scenario unfolded, the Sox could trade Rios to save salary and upgrade elsewhere.
I don't necessarily think he'd have a minimum of scrutiny here...Chicago is a pretty huge sports market. I guess he'd be playing in front of less people though.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post

I don't necessarily think he'd have a minimum of scrutiny here...Chicago is a pretty huge sports market. I guess he'd be playing in front of less people though.
And the fact that the Cubs, Bears and Bulls get more media attention than the Sox.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 PM
WSI Prelate

I want a farm system like that of the Cardinals and Braves. Those organizations consistently develop position players who can field well and hit at the MLB level.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:04 PM
WSI Guru

Noneck:

You mention a potential selling of the franchise. I can't say I've heard anything about that, nothing but in fact JR is in his mid/late 70's and he can't go on forever. Plus the latest info I heard and saw was that his family doesn't want to be a part of the Sox when he is gone.

So it will be an extremely interesting situation when it's time for a change.

But for right now I honestly don't think there is a connection between the current philosophy and a potential sale, the Sox had this attitude 10 years ago for example.

Lip
Old 10-13-2012, 11:19 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
You mention a potential selling of the franchise. I can't say I've heard anything about that, nothing but in fact JR is in his mid/late 70's and he can't go on forever. Plus the latest info I heard and saw was that his family doesn't want to be a part of the Sox when he is gone.
If the other owners want to retain Sox ownership, would it be just a matter of the Reinsdorf heirs selling the shares to a new operating partner?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:37 PM
WSI Guru

Fielder:

I'd assume so although there could be an issue if say a few investors all make the same offer for the same percentage of the franchise. That's something that I assume, you'd have to go before a judge much like the Veeck - Finley - Comiskey situation in 1959.

I've asked the folks in the media about this issue from time to time and honestly no one that I've asked can even guess as to what the future would hold if / when JR leaves. I've been told it's been brought up in meetings for example and nobody has an idea...if it would go to some of the current investors, if it would be sold to an outside group, company or an individual.

It'll be interesting when it happens that's for sure.

Lip
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 AM
WSI Personality

Default The Future Ownership

When the day comes when JR sells the White Sox I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wirtz family be the buyer. JR has always said he would sell all of his holdings (White Sox, Bulls and United Center) to one buyer. Due to the fact that the Wirtz family owns part of the United Center with JR it would make sense for them to buy out JR. Maybe they might build another baseball stadium for the White Sox somewhere near the United Center.