White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Default *Official* August 31st Postgame: Deep Breaths People

We will still be in first at the end of this weekend, deep breaths people.

Go Sox!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Default *official* 08/31 sox 4 tigers 7 " Sox fisterate selve's"

Meh, we had chances. Peavy screwed us too

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
WSI Church Elder

Default *Official* 8-31 Get 'em tomorrow postgamer Sox 4 - Detroit 7

Another game tomorrow.
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
We will still be in first at the end of this weekend, deep breaths people.
So that makes it ok to play like ****? I hate that type of attitude.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:20 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
It means that there is a month of baseball left to be played and that a bad week is no reason to start jumping off the ledge when we're still in first and up by 2.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
It means that there is a month of baseball left to be played and that a bad week is no reason to start jumping off the ledge when we're still in first and up by 2.
Here's the issues with that. They have five more head to head matchups with these guys, and have now lost 8 of the last 10 vs. them, with many of the games in ugly fashion. They have proven they could play well at times and have done well vs. some very good teams. But they have been remarkably inconsistent. Last time they were in Detroit they got swept. In the key series in Baltimore they dropped three of four.

I'm not happy with mediocrity and I'm not falling back on the "well we shouldn't even be here" excuse. That might work in May or June but this is (almost) September. This team has shown it can play well but they are maddeningly inconsistent. And I'm sick of losing to these jerks. Maybe some people will be content with missing the playoffs but not me. Part of me was hoping the Sox would come out and whip these guys for a change but I should have known better.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyroger2 View Post
Here's the issues with that. They have five more head to head matchups with these guys, and have now lost 8 of the last 10 vs. them, with many of the games in ugly fashion. They have proven they could play well at times and have done well vs. some very good teams. But they have been remarkably inconsistent. Last time they were in Detroit they got swept. In the key series in Baltimore they dropped three of four.

I'm not happy with mediocrity and I'm not falling back on the "well we shouldn't even be here" excuse. That might work in May or June but this is (almost) September. This team has shown it can play well but they are maddeningly inconsistent. And I'm sick of losing to these jerks. Maybe some people will be content with missing the playoffs but not me. Part of me was hoping the Sox would come out and whip these guys for a change but I should have known better.
The good news is that after this series we don't have to go back to Detroit. This team is maddeningly inconsistent, that's what they are. This team is a lot closer to the 2008 team than the 2005 team and all we can do is hope they get hot at the right time and can get into the playoffs and maybe do some damage.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:

The Sox have actually been very consistent this year. You can take just about any decent sized chunk of the season and the Sox have played about as well as they have all year long.

April... 11-11
May... 18-11
June... 13-14
July... 14-11
August... 16-12

That's actually very consistent for any MLB team.

As for people who keep posting the Sox's record against the Tigers, ****, you guys realize that has no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the games we have with Detroit, right? It wouldn't matter if the Sox were 10-0 against them or 0-10. The Tigers had owned KC this season, too, and look what happened to them earlier this week.

The Sox will be fine. Just relax. However content or not content you personally are with making or missing the playoffs is also completely irrelevant. Just relax, people. This is what you want when you decide to be a baseball fan. Meaningful, tough games late in the season.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Sox have actually been very consistent this year. You can take just about any decent sized chunk of the season and the Sox have played about as well as they have all year long.

April... 11-11
May... 18-11
June... 13-14
July... 14-11
August... 16-12

That's actually very consistent for any MLB team.

As for people who keep posting the Sox's record against the Tigers, ****, you guys realize that has no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the games we have with Detroit, right? It wouldn't matter if the Sox were 10-0 against them or 0-10. The Tigers had owned KC this season, too, and look what happened to them earlier this week.

The Sox will be fine. Just relax. However content or not content you personally are with making or missing the playoffs is also completely irrelevant. Just relax, people. This is what you want when you decide to be a baseball fan. Meaningful, tough games late in the season.
The record vs. Detroit does concern me, because obviously the Sox are on the short end of it. Had they at least broken even the division lead would be a more manageable 4 or 5+ games.

But the trend is what concerns me more. They've now lost 8 of the last 10 vs them, and Detroit frankly is nothing special. For some reason, the Sox have more often than not found ways to lose to them with regularity and that's not promising. Maybe they'll shock me and turn things around on them but we'll see.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

I agree we shouldn't be content with missing the postseason. The Sox have proven this year that they can play with anyone. Texas and NY might be the "elite" teams, and the Sox have dominated both all year. If they can get into the postseason they can do damage. The "we shouldn't be here" argument doesn't hold water anymore. The only thing that's been proven is that 2011 was a fluke year, and the 2012 team is very much the group we were all excited about going into the 2011 season.

But keep in mind, Detroit is a very tough team to play in their ballpark. The Sox need to weather the storm and then take care of business when they come to Chicago, as they are not a good road team. We all knew this would be a tough series. That doesn't mean a whole lot at this point in time. There's still a month to play, including four games in Chicago against these guys (not to mention the two left in THIS series).

There is still a lot of baseball to play.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
You're right. This team sucks, they can't beat losing teams, they're flawed. They have mental issues. This team has never showed any mental strength. Who cares if they're in first and other teams have problems. This sox team is worse than them too.

Did I cover everything there?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:22 PM
WSI Guru

I'm disappointed in the pitching. I expected better from Peavy tonight. He was not sharp from the first inning on, and it's not good to be walking Andy Dirks ahead of the heart of this Detroit batting order. Jake made that mistake twice. It cost him twice.

We have not received good pitching on the road trip as a whole. We need a good one from Liriano tomorrow.

I'm signing off to the let the depressed people have their fun. I expect the Sox to struggle this weekend, but I still have confidence they'll win the division.

Good night.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-31-2012, 10:25 PM
WSI High Priest

I will go to sleep tonight counting the double digit stranded runners. Fister had nothing and we couldn't put him away. I also was scratching my head when Robin left Peavy in to face Cabrera in the 7th. I sensed the knockout blow was coming after that. Also, Thornton was 94 mph and straight as arrow tonight.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 08-31-2012, 10:25 PM
WSI Prelate

I saw two problems this evening: we didn't hit and we didn't pitch.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I saw two problems this evening: we didn't hit and we didn't pitch.
And we didn't win.