White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

Default Rare footage of 1917 White Sox online

enjoy

Comiskey Park
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65..._Comiskey-Park

Polo Grounds
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...ing_Giants-win

White Sox win pennant in 1959
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...White-Sox-wins

and on a sad note - the final game of 1959
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65..._Comiskey-park

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1917/YPS_1917.htm
Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Wow. Great find, Fenway!!!

'We drafted him... He achieved greatness here... A 2-time MVP, and one of the BEST hitters in MLB history... And soon he will wear a White Sox uniform again... On his Hall of Fame plaque. He's #35, Frank Thomas!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Damn east coast bias! Too much emphasis on the Giants!

That first clip in particular is absolutely golden. Thanks a million, Fenway.

Vernam
Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 PM
WSI High Priest

The clip on the the 59 clincher in Cleveland is wrong. The real DP was Aparicio stepping on 2nd and throwing to Klu for the last out. The DP they show is Luis throwing to Fox who relayed to Klu, that was earlier in the game. You can also see that the pitcher was Wynn with number 24, not Staley. Trust me on this, it is something I will never forget.

The DP they show was in the bottom of the 5th, check out the PBP.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...95909220.shtml

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-15-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Banned

What struck me about the 1959 clip in Cleveland was that photographers were on the field. While this was common in the 20's and 30's, I had no idea it was still allowed in 1959.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
The clip on the the 59 clincher in Cleveland is wrong. The real DP was Aparicio stepping on 2nd and throwing to Klu for the last out. The DP they show is Luis throwing to Fox who relayed to Klu, that was earlier in the game. You can also see that the pitcher was Wynn with number 24, not Staley. Trust me on this, it is something I will never forget.

The DP they show was in the bottom of the 5th, check out the PBP.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...95909220.shtml
Spoken like a man who knows whereof he speaks.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
WSI Personality

Default 1917 World Series

I've never seen these 1917 films before. Seeing them has made my day.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:28 AM
WSI Regular

Default 1959

I've heard a rumor that MLB has game 1 of the 1959 World Series. They acquired it from the same source that provided them the 1965 All-Star game. Not sure if it was in good enough condition to air, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they show it this offseason on MLB Network.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbaball View Post
I've heard a rumor that MLB has game 1 of the 1959 World Series. They acquired it from the same source that provided them the 1965 All-Star game. Not sure if it was in good enough condition to air, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they show it this offseason on MLB Network.
It is really sad that NBC erased most World Series games before 1969. For example only 45 seconds exist from 1967 and only because Huntley-Brinkley showed highlights of Lonborg just missing a no-hitter in Game 2.

But it wasn't just sports - very little exists of Johnny Carson's 10 years in New York.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:59 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
It is really sad that NBC erased most World Series games before 1969. For example only 45 seconds exist from 1967 and only because Huntley-Brinkley showed highlights of Lonborg just missing a no-hitter in Game 2.

But it wasn't just sports - very little exists of Johnny Carson's 10 years in New York.
Yes, very unfortunate. There is not much that exists from the 70s as well; only the Sox opener vs Toronto has been preserved.

The good news is there are plenty of audio recordings of radio broadcasts from the 50s-70s and items before 1972 are not subject to copyright laws. The Miley collection which includes radio broadcasts of World Series games from 1934 until the 1970s as well as many regular season games from the 50s-70s will be acquired by the Library of Congress after the owner John Miley passes away. (If the LOC says so about the copyright laws that is good enough for me.) I've picked up quite a few from Miley's store Cooperstownmusic as well as his competitor baseaballtapes and it is very cool listening to the 1959 World Series as well as Sox games from the 50s-70s. Any others out there collect them?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Well at the local level (especially with the White Sox) - these stations really could not afford to use tape stock and archive games. NBC doesn't have that excuse.

Boston was an exception as every game televised from 1972 on exists - the Red Sox paid the stations to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbaball View Post
Yes, very unfortunate. There is not much that exists from the 70s as well; only the Sox opener vs Toronto has been preserved.

The good news is there are plenty of audio recordings of radio broadcasts from the 50s-70s and items before 1972 are not subject to copyright laws. The Miley collection which includes radio broadcasts of World Series games from 1934 until the 1970s as well as many regular season games from the 50s-70s will be acquired by the Library of Congress after the owner John Miley passes away. (If the LOC says so about the copyright laws that is good enough for me.) I've picked up quite a few from Miley's store Cooperstownmusic as well as his competitor baseaballtapes and it is very cool listening to the 1959 World Series as well as Sox games from the 50s-70s. Any others out there collect them?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Well at the local level (especially with the White Sox) - these stations really could not afford to use tape stock and archive games. NBC doesn't have that excuse.

Boston was an exception as every game televised from 1972 on exists - the Red Sox paid the stations to do it.
I remember reading that a 1964 White Sox-Red Sox game in Fenway was found and was supposed to be aired on MLB Network, but it never turned up.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:39 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:

Really? They have never shown/aired any of them at least from the 70s. After 40 years you begin to wonder what they are saving them for if they sit on a shelf and collect dust. Why save them if you are never going to do anything with them???