White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Default *Official* 2011 MLB Draft Thread

The draft is spread out over 3 days. Tonight is the 1st and Supplemental round, which will be televised on MLB Network and streamed at MLB.com at 7 PM ET. Rounds 2-30 are scheduled for Tuesday the 7th at noon ET, and rounds 31-50 will take place at the same time on Wednesday the 8th.

The White Sox pick once tonight, at number 47. Almost all reports have confidently said to expect college pitching, and plenty of it.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM
WSI High Priest

BA's final mock draft is up. Most all sources are noting that Cole will be the number 1 pick.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...al-mock-draft/
Old 06-06-2011, 01:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Goldstein's final mock draft is up. It also notes a prediction for teams that don't have a 1st round selection.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=14156
Old 06-06-2011, 02:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Guess who's draft eligible still? Ozney Guillen. So is Doug Laumann's son.

Family Affair for Sox in Amateur Draft

Old 06-06-2011, 03:04 PM
MMXXIII

Sources "confirm" Pirates taking Cole #1

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...aftcentral2010
Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Sources "confirm" Pirates taking Cole #1

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...aftcentral2010
No surprise. He's had somewhat of a down year, but the stuff is fantastic and the ceiling is phenomenal. Rendon is almost assured to go number 2. Mariners have been all over him the entire year despite the injury issues. Number 3 and on becomes murky. Arizona has been in love with Hultzen most of the year, but Bauer is now in the mix. Should be interesting to see how it all unfolds.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
scotgregor Scot Gregor
Why is Ozney Guillen still on the draft board after 30 rounds? 144 ABs at Miami-Dade JC this year with aluminum bat and 0 HR
4 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Ozney profiles at a corner OF spot or 1B. Not being able to hit for power with aluminum at such positions doesn't bode well for him. I approve of the Sox staying away through 30 rounds.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Laumann's kid was just drafted by the Braves.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:09 PM
WSI Regular

Default Pathetic

I think its pathetic that it takes 33 rounds before we drafted a high school player. Can anyone think of a high school player we drafted that has produced on our ballpark-Never oh I forgot Chris Young, but we traded him. We need some new philosophy in our approach to the draft. I don't think it will change until Kenny moves up which I believe will be pretty soon and Rich Hahn will take over.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPrince34 View Post
I think its pathetic that it takes 33 rounds before we drafted a high school player. Can anyone think of a high school player we drafted that has produced on our ballpark-Never oh I forgot Chris Young, but we traded him. We need some new philosophy in our approach to the draft. I don't think it will change until Kenny moves up which I believe will be pretty soon and Rich Hahn will take over.
They drafted a high schooler in the 21st round. But yes, it's odd to draft 90% college kids. And from what I can tell it really isn't all on Kenny. Jerry supposedly has his hands in the draft more then he should. He prefers college players and pitchers primarily because they are "safer" picks.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
They drafted a high schooler in the 21st round. But yes, it's odd to draft 90% college kids. And from what I can tell it really isn't all on Kenny. Jerry supposedly has his hands in the draft more then he should. He prefers college players and pitchers primarily because they are "safer" picks.
It's all about signability and even more so signability at slot.

The Sox have gone over slot for early picks the last few years, but don't expect Jerry to hand over big bonuses, especially to Boras clients.

The issue with many high-schoolers is that other than the top few rounds of draftees, there's little incentive for them to sign a lowball slot deal and slog around the lower minors for 2-3 years when they can go to college and improve their play (and their stock) shooting for a bigger payday.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Why on Earth do you care where they come from? All that should matter is the success rate (which is plenty-suspect in the past 10 years). HS vs college is a pointless distinction, especially since you are lumping JuCO/CC players in with college players and they are defined differently by all involved in the actual process.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 PM
WSI Regular

How many high picks are we going to use on relievers? You look up and down are organization we lack right/left handed starting pitchers. You look at Laumann drafts and he's constantly drafting relievers with high picks. I don't see the White Sox using our system to call up arms. Most of our pitchers have come from trades and free agency-minus Buehrle/Santos. Now again we are using our 3rd/4th/5th rounders on relievers-make you scratch your head. How does this help Kenny make trades down the road when we don't use our system. Yes I know we have Beckham and Morel on the team, but I'm talking about pitching
Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
How many high picks are we going to use on relievers? You look up and down are organization we lack right/left handed starting pitchers. You look at Laumann drafts and he's constantly drafting relievers with high picks. I don't see the White Sox using our system to call up arms. Most of our pitchers have come from trades and free agency-minus Buehrle/Santos. Now again we are using our 3rd/4th/5th rounders on relievers-make you scratch your head. How does this help Kenny make trades down the road when we don't use our system. Yes I know we have Beckham and Morel on the team, but I'm talking about pitching
Your point is valid (except leaving Sale off the list), but whose philosophy is it? Hard to say. Cheaper to work with college prospects because they generally require less time to get to the "bust or not" stage and you will have less time and money invested in them in the long run. Spending 127M on the payroll will have other ramifications that people may not like... as in investing less $$$ in the farm/development system.