White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2010, 01:11 PM
dickallen15 dickallen15 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,942
Default Keith Law

Keith Law has rated the White Sox farm system, based on its current inventory of players, (which DQ's Beckham) the worst in baseball. Of course you must take it with a little grain of salt as Mr. Law usually has nothing nice to say about anything related to the White Sox.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Keith Law has rated the White Sox farm system, based on its current inventory of players, (which DQ's Beckham) the worst in baseball. Of course you must take it with a little grain of salt as Mr. Law usually has nothing nice to say about anything related to the White Sox.
A pretty tiny grain of salt, though. The Astros have made enough progress to pass us.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2010, 01:20 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

An accurate assessment. It's terrible.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,645
Default

I like Keith Law, and he is probably right. Our Farm is incredibly thin, but it should be, we cleared out almost 99% of our pitching depth to get Peavy. And we would all do it again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2010, 03:06 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I like Keith Law, and he is probably right. Our Farm is incredibly thin, but it should be, we cleared out almost 99% of our pitching depth to get Peavy. And we would all do it again.
Law didn't like the system before that. IIRC, he ranked it in the bottom 5 last year, while most people were ranking it in the 10-15 range.

He just doesn't like the way the Sox operate. Oh well, funny that we have nothing down there, yet every year some other team wants pieces from it. Darn you Keith Law, we have everyone fooled but you!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Law didn't like the system before that. IIRC, he ranked it in the bottom 5 last year, while most people were ranking it in the 10-15 range.

He just doesn't like the way the Sox operate. Oh well, funny that we have nothing down there, yet every year some other team wants pieces from it. Darn you Keith Law, we have everyone fooled but you!
Uh...[citation needed]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2010, 01:37 PM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,407
Default

I don't think you can complain too much when we have graduated Beckham, Getz, Richard in the past year and have Hudson who looks like a very good pitching prospect. Would you rather have Poreda, Carter, Russell, Richard in the system or Peavy on the ML roster?

I don't think we have any depth in the system at all but our top 10-15 is not that bad. We don't have any real impact players (possibly Dayan, Mitchell if they develop further) though and that's really what they base these lists on. It's possible to rebuild a farm system in a couple years if they make scouting and development a priority. The Rangers went from 27th ranked in 2007 to 1st in 2009 (according to BA). With the rotation the Sox have they seem to be set up for the next few years to compete.
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

The Peavy trade is fine and dandy, but the top 15 is nowhere close to solid. It's horrendous. After Hudson, Flowers, and Mitchell, the system falls off a cliff.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

An aside, this is why the Sox need(ed) to sign a competent DH this year. Trading off top prospects for a bat mid-season will not be pretty.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 PM
tm1119 tm1119 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I don't think you can complain too much when we have graduated Beckham, Getz, Richard in the past year and have Hudson who looks like a very good pitching prospect. Would you rather have Poreda, Carter, Russell, Richard in the system or Peavy on the ML roster?

I don't think we have any depth in the system at all but our top 10-15 is not that bad. We don't have any real impact players (possibly Dayan, Mitchell if they develop further) though and that's really what they base these lists on. It's possible to rebuild a farm system in a couple years if they make scouting and development a priority. The Rangers went from 27th ranked in 2007 to 1st in 2009 (according to BA). With the rotation the Sox have they seem to be set up for the next few years to compete.
1. Flowers
2. Hudson
3. Mitchell
4. Danks
5. Dayan
6. Morel
7. .....?

Our system goes 6 deep and then falls off, not a cliff, but a mountain. Not sure where youre getting 10-15 from. Law had every right to rank us dead last.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1119 View Post
1. Flowers
2. Hudson
3. Mitchell
4. Danks
5. Dayan
6. Morel
7. .....?

Our system goes 6 deep and then falls off, not a cliff, but a mountain. Not sure where youre getting 10-15 from. Law had every right to rank us dead last.
You only have the right to say that if you know about the other 29 teams.

BTW, it's usually only about 5 guys that make or break these rankings anyway.

Last edited by oeo; 01-27-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.