White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

Default Brandon Allen

The man is on a mission. In my opinion, KW made the wrong move by trading Allen, especially considering the return.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/268591.html
Old 07-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Banned

Such is the nature of the PCL. I wouldn't read too much into it. Just a timely streak.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Such is the nature of the PCL. I wouldn't read too much into it. Just a timely streak.
My opinion was based on this year in it's entirety however you still may be right.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:01 AM
WSI Personality

If you look at last year -- especially in a tough place to hit like Birmingham -- along with this year, Allen has put together a nice run. He may just be an average MLB offensive 1b, but when you add speed, decent defense, the fact he hits left-handed and three years of cheap control, that seems like an awful lot to give up for the fifth guy in your bullpen. Hope I'm wrong and Pena works his way into a seventh or eighth inning role, but I hated this trade.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
If you look at last year -- especially in a tough place to hit like Birmingham -- along with this year, Allen has put together a nice run. He may just be an average MLB offensive 1b, but when you add speed, decent defense, the fact he hits left-handed and three years of cheap control, that seems like an awful lot to give up for the fifth guy in your bullpen. Hope I'm wrong and Pena works his way into a seventh or eighth inning role, but I hated this trade.
If anything, I think Kenny wanted to move him before it became apparent that the Sox did not have a spot for Brandon. Given the performance of the core power hitters this year, they realized they may be around next year (both Dye and Thome).
Old 07-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
I'm sure that's what the Sox hope and expect and think he'll become a cheaper version of Dotel next year at the least. Freeing up that money to be spent elsewhere.

Quote:
If anything, I think Kenny wanted to move him before it became apparent that the Sox did not have a spot for Brandon. Given the performance of the core power hitters this year, they realized they may be around next year (both Dye and Thome).
Exactly. The Sox are fine at power hitting 1B for the foreseeable future.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-25-2009, 10:56 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Thome's gone after this year.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ... View Post
My opinion was based on this year in it's entirety however you still may be right.
Of course. He was unbelievable last season, but has had trouble replicating his power (check out his ISO numbers). He may have just needed more time to figure it out, but there are questions abound with Allen.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:12 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Of course. He was unbelievable last season, but has had trouble replicating his power (check out his ISO numbers). He may have just needed more time to figure it out, but there are questions abound with Allen.
Sure. Arizona took the side of the deal with risk and upside. The Sox have more of the sure thing now. The upside for the Sox is Tony Pena is somewhat better than Adam Russell would have been. And the way Russell's been throwing it lately, questions abound there too.