View Single Post
Old 04-05-2003, 12:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

I have to say, I don't dislike Manual as much as I disliked Lamont. He was brutal. He closed his eyes and let that '93 team win the division. The problem is, he didn't wake-up for the play-offs. (I think he's still asleep!) Bevington, of course, was even worse.

We've never really had anyone in Chicago to measure by. Living in Seattle, I can say I don't think Manual comes close to how Lou Pinella managed the Mariners. Pinella went balls-out trying to win every game. (You'd have to manage like that to get your team to win 116 games in one season.) Sure, Pinella has had his disappointing years too (and it's not like he's going to lead the Devil Rays to the title), and he never led the Mariners to the World Series, but he did once win a World Series (Reds in '90) and that's a lot more than Manual can say. As a simple example, Pinella would let Arthur Rhodes pitch a FULL INNING - I wish Manual would let Marte do the same!

On a final note, the best season by a Sox manager that I've seen was Jeff Torborg in '90 - he had that team playing little ball like no other team I've seen.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

-Kenny Williams before start of 2005 season