View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 11:05 AM
WSI Personality

...agree with rdivaldi. This is McCarthy's first full season pitching higher than Class A, so he definitely needs the innings and experience against better hitters before he comes up to the bigs full time. That said, his learning curve at the big-league level will probably be closer to Buehrle's (< 1 year) than Garland's (~ 5 years).
The problem with being a long reliever is that if your starters are all pitching well there aren't a whole lot of innings to be had (as Cotts is finding out), and I'd rather have McCarthy pitching every 5th day than sitting around waiting for the starters to get rocked and maybe filling in with an inning or two here and there.
If one of our starters doesn't make it out of the 2nd or 3rd inning (which I don't believe has happened yet, but someone can check me), Cotts can give us 4 or 5 solid innings of relief, as he has been a starter in the past. But let's hope that doesn't happen often, if at all...
Camden Yards: 4-5 ; Yankee Stadium: 3-2 ; Jacobs Field: 2-0 ; Skydome: 1-0 ; Comerica Park: 1-0 ; Milwaukee County Stadium: 3-0 ; The Vet/Citizens Bank: 2-1 ; PNC Park: 1-0 ; Comiskey/The Cell: Definitely over .500...
===> 2014: Now representing Sox army in the 'Cuse...