View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 01:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Joe Borchard from the 2000 draft was one of the more disappointing first round picks in my lifetime. I really thought that kid was going to be a star. (I'm sure the Sox scouts thought that too) Switch hitter, strong as an ox, tremendously athletic, and dominated at each level in the minor leagues. In Charlotte, he hit so many long HRs to CF that they nicknamed it "Borchard's Orchard" during his time there. Then he got to the majors and we all discovered a Texas sized hole in his swing that couldn't catch up to MLB pitching. He still owns the record for longest HR hit in our ballpark though.

Baseball America had Borchard as their No. 12 prospect before the 2002 season. In 2010, he had bounced around to Fresno, the AAA affiliate in the Pacific Coast League and was actually hitting very well into July, but the Giants didn't call him up. He went on to play in the Domican Republic the following winter and an independent league in 2011 before he retired. And somewhere I have a Joe Borchard autographed ball.

But I remember sitting in the bleachers at Sox games in 2002 hearing fans talk about how great thing were going to be when Borchard came up and how they should just bring him up and let him develop. Good thing they didn't rush him.

For the White Sox, there was a happier ending as they traded Borchard to the Mariners for one of their failed first-round draft picks, but Matt Thornton actually turned out to be a pretty good pitcher for the White Sox.