View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 01:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
It is fascinating to read the comments in this thread.

Color me 100% skeptical the Sox will be getting a new stadium when their lease expires.

Unless a new owner is willing to pay for it themselves (very, very, VERY rare) it isn't happening.

Period.

End of discussion.

They'll remain in a stadium that has been well maintained and is about 40 years old.

Nothing wrong with that.

Conspiracy theories aside () there isn't a "plot" to "get" the White Sox despite what some continue to believe.

The stadium in the mid 60's never got off the ground because Mayor Daley wanted the Sox and Bears to play in a new stadium OUT IN LAKE MICHIGAN accessed by a causeway. True story. Environmentalists went nuts and delayed any or all talk about something like that happening. By the time that got sorted out the ship had sailed in the South Loop.

Then as posted you had the Bears torpedoing the plan in the mid 80's.

It is what it is with this franchise sometimes things happen beyond your control.

I repeat the bottom line in my opinion...CONSISTENTLY win and produce playoff bound teams once more than every seven to 10 years and you can play in a ****house and it won't matter.
Agree with everything you say except that the Sox even if they win will never draw as much as they could with a better location. This a franchise in a major market that has never hit the 3 million mark, came close twice in 1991 and again in 2006. The mindset of many residents in the metro area and of tourists that visit the city is that Sox Park is in a bad area, 99% of Sox fans know that that is a false assumption but try explaining that to the rest of the non-believers. I've been hearing this since the early 50s and it still continues. I have a lot of friends here in Florida who have visited Chicago and took in a game at Wrigley, but not Sox Park. If I was a tourist I would want to take in a game at both.
That being said and as I stated earlier in the thread, the only way the Sox move from where they are is if a new owner finances the whole deal or the Sox move to another city.