View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 11:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernam View Post
It's not a purely revisionist notion. Some made the point in real time, as noted here.

I was at the game w/ my friend Paul (RIP, he passed a few years ago) just to see the Sox for a buck. It was a zoo, not something I'm proud to have been a part of, although the full import didn't hit me until the next day. I never did admit to my old man that I'd been there -- he took any loss hard, much less a forfeit. The notion of celebrating it 40 years later would no doubt offend him on that basis alone.

This thread has been an admirable attempt to reckon with some complex sociology. Just IMO, the Disco Demolition controversy is emblematic of how the absence of intent to offend is no longer an adequate defense against offending. I'm confident in saying the crowd that night was not taking out frustrations against any group of people -- it was way too mindless for that. And I'm just as confident that it's good for us to consider why some perceive it in a different way. If 40,000 people rioted after blowing up a bunch of punk records I loved, the thought that they might have a beef with me personally would almost certainly cross my mind.
Very, very well said.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.