View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 12:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
This brings up an important question: what actually is the size of the White Sox market?

The split in the Chicagoland area/Northwest Indiana is markedly less than half, probably closer to one-third. In other areas of Illinois, and Iowa, and the rest of Indiana, the White Sox are practically non-existent.

So that leaves us at somewhere around 3-3.5 million people? The Tigers and Twins both have that number beat, and depending on how they do in other areas of their home states, the Indians and Royals are both close to that number as well.

All of a sudden, the market size looks more like the Indians and Royals than the Mets and Angels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I agree on the surface, but the simple fact is if they won consistently for an extended period of time they could grow that market. There are potentially 10M people to reach in the Metro area including Southern WI and NE Indiana an everything south of Chicago in Illinois until you get to Springfield.

The current market is 3M doesn't mean it couldn't be bigger if they won. I understand your point but I think it's too literal and misses a bigger truth. The Sox haven't earned more fans that doesn't mean there aren't more potential fans out there.
As far as local revenue goes, tickets sold is only one component. Teams also bring in revenue in their local TV/radio deals and also corporate sponsorship. Big market teams can bring in much more revenue for both. I'm not sure what kind of TV deal the Sox will be able to get after 2019, but I'm guessing it won't be as much as the recent deals that the Cardinals, Mariners, and Diamondbacks made. Right now, they own a 20% stake in NBC Sports Chicago which is shared evenly with the Cubs, Bulls, Hawks, and Comcast. I have no idea what their sponsorship revenue situation is, but I would guess it's much lower than that of other big market teams.

As far as the question of flipping causal fans goes, what the Sox need to do long-term is to gain allegiance of young fans. Not everyone grows up in a all-rabid Sox fans or all-rabid Cubs fans household. When I was a kid, my parents really didn't follow baseball, so I picked allegiance to the Sox on my own - there was no switching or going with (or against) the family involved. There are plenty of youngsters out there just waiting to be won over as loyal fans. Once you cement their allegiance, they're unlikely to flip sides as an adult. Maybe the Sox won over a good chunk of youngsters in that brief window of the 2005 era, but that success didn't last very long. No doubt, the Cubs are racking up lots of new fans now (as if they need them). The Sox aren't winning over hardly anyone new this decade.