View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 10:06 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Didn't see anything on the web site but apparently Sammy Esposito, one of the last surviving members of the 1959 team passed away yesterday according to the Sun-Times. He was 81. Pretty good utility infielder with the Sox. Then for many years was the A.D. at North Carolina State. Played in two of the '59 World Series games.

Probably his biggest "historical" note in his Sox career was this one ironically coming on an error:

September 7, 1960 - In a game at Comiskey Park infielder Sammy Esposito booted a cinch double play ball hit by future Sox infielder Bill “Moose” Skowron, with the Sox leading in the eighth inning, 4-2. That lead quickly evaporated as the Yankees rallied for four runs and a 6-4 win.

Willie Harris and his friend, Jesse James (I swear I'm not making the names up) had a wager on the game. When Esposito blew the ground ball Harris took matters into his own hands. He jumped over the box seat railing, ran on to the field and before a startled team attacked Esposito. It took several uniformed police officers to pull Harris off of Esposito. Harris left the field shouting that he was “a real Sox fan.”
RIP Sammy. Thanks for the memories. I've got an audio clip of these but I don't see any way to attach it or I'd gladly share it.