View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 07:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Agreed. And Jimmy Lambert, too. He might have figured into the 2020 rotation but now it will be 2021 at the earliest.

Very few organizations can overcome the loss of four top pitchers/pitching prospects to TJS in a period of approximately 6 months, and still be a winning team while those pitchers are still rehabbing.

I donít know that the 2019 Sox would be contenders with a healthy Kopech and Rodon in the rotation along with Giolito, Lopez, and Cease (as I think more quality starts would end up requiring Renteria to overuse his good relievers, or to put the lousy relievers into save situations, and there remain problem with the lineup), but I think weíd be at or slightly above .500.
Thatís all fine, but if they knew they werenít competing this year, why not just pick up the option on James Shields and leave Dylan Cease in AAA for all of 2019? Michael Kopech was already on the shelf, Dane Dunning was showing some serious red flags with his arm problems, and Carlos Rodon is good for at least 2 months on the IL year-in and year-out. The team would not have been competitive overall, but more of those throw-away starts by Ervin Santana, Odrisamer Despaigne, Dylan Covey, Ross Detwiler, and Hector Santiago would have been competitive on an individual basis.

Getting 30+ starts and 180+ innings out of Shields would have been worth that money, and it would have been recouped as added payroll flexibility a few years down the road when Cease is still making close to the league minimum.