View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 10:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I see them fairly regularly in the Bay Area. If I have time and it's not an intrusion I ask the person if they like the Sox or if it's a fashion statement. Last two people went like this.

First one was a younger woman - late teens or early 20's working the cashier stand at a restaurant. It was a fashion statement, so I told her to remember the name Frank Thomas AKA "The Big Hurt" She misheard me as "The Big Heart" so I made sure she had it right and told her it was because he hit baseballs so hard they used to scream in pain. Now if someone else asks her she has at least one fact to throw out there.

Second one was a guy in his late 20's early 30's. He was with friends in line at a local ramen shop in a food court in a local Japanese supermarket (best ramen EVER and it took 60+ minutes between line and waiting for the order to get our food that day - but that's another story). He immediately replied he was a Sox fan who had moved here recently from another state. He was really quite knowledgeable and knew a lot of details both about the big club and the kids in the minors. Line was moving so slowly we got to talk for a few minutes and when we came around the next snake loop resumed our conversation.

Great ice breaker.
I saw another dad at my sonís camp orientation in Michigan rocking a Sox vintage hat. I asked him if he was a fan or just liked the hat. He looked at me like I was a total idiot. He said he was a big fan. I then attempted to engage him about Madrigalís hot start in Birmingham and he had no clue who I was talking about.

I sometimes make the mistake of assuming every fan is like those of us here.