View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 10:56 PM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
There are competitive and financial reasons behind the schedule that many fans don't consider. I still have to wonder how the White Sox were convinced to give up what apparently would have been an August Friday night game against the Yankees to play in an Iowa cornfield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
There have been an increasing number of these 'special' games, both overseas and at unusual places in the US (Little League World Series, College World Series, military base). I have to imagine there are some details out there for how that works, but I'm sure MLB compensations the teams giving up home games...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I'm pretty sure I read that the game was their idea, which they pitched to MLB.
I am quite certain they are, or will be, financially compensated by MLB. If not, what's the point?
Yep. They are getting some nice change from MLB. I am hoping they can put some of that money towards their roster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Am I the only one that thinks MLB might be up to something with this early start to the schedule? The season ends on 9/27. I can't help but wonder if this is a precursor to announcing some sort of playoff expansion or longer wild card round.
Or, perhaps they are wanting the season to not stretch into November?

Bucket List Tracker
States Visited: All 50
Attended an NHL game in 14 NHL cities (Next: St. Louis 12/14)
Attended Mass at 8 Archdiocese Cathedrals (Next: St. Louis 12/15)

I really love Salt Lake City