View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 08:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
This is really starting to bug me, that Boston was able to wear down Hahn and deal who they wanted for Sale. It makes me wonder if they knew something about Moncada that the Sox did not. Geez, I am starting to sound like other loud doomsayers (not on this board, though). I also wonder if other teams were offering anything for Sale.

Boston knew that the White Sox wanted to rebuild and knew that Sale was the key. They knew if they held out long enough, they'd wear Hahn down. That is exactly what happened. I was adamantly against trading Sale for that reason, but once it happened I went in on the rebuild, mainly because the other alternative was to weep and wail and predict dire doom and gloom. But this item doesn't exactly fill me with confidence about how it will all turn out.

But you could also say that Hahn wore down the Cubs with their desire for Quintana. It works both ways; due to the nature of the trades of stars for prospects, we won't know which trades were wins and which were losses for several more years.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.