View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 10:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24
Randar - out of curiosity, how does Gio compare to Jim Parque? The build similarities are obvious, but IIRC Jimmy was also a lefty with decent (low-90s) stuff, but was never a big K guy which Gio seems to be. Jimmy was decent, but never really great, and the durability thing caught up with him pretty quickly. Knock on wood that Gio can stay healthy, but is his "upside" Parque or can we shoot a bit higher?
They're nothing alike, IMO. Parque got by on guts. I hate comparisons based only on physical likeness. Gio has a legit low-90's fastball that has movement, a MUCH better curve than Parque ever had, and I think he has a better feel for pitching, attacking hitters, than Parque did. Parque's "upside" was a #5 pitcher on a contender, IMO.

He's not a potential #1, IMO, because I don't think he could ever give you 230 innings. He might be able to give you 200-215 innings, though, if he can stay healthy in a major league season.

I think he has a chance to be a very good #3 type pitcher, realistically. I could see him giving you 6 innings a start with ~5 K's on average and <2 walks...

Pretty early to project, but it's just a half-ass guess right now. Will be interesting to see. Could be in W-S as early as May 10th.