View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 11:25 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
Wilson Valdez is currently hitting .344 in 131 at bats for the Charlotte Knights. When he was with the Florida Marlins AAA (Albuquerque Isotopes) he hit .319 with 19 stolen bases in 276 at bats.

Valdez is 26 years old and is mainly a singles hitter with good base stealing speed and a great glove at shortstop. It's nice to know that we have a replacement for Valentin when he retires. Jose is 34 years old afterall. I look for this kid to make the Sox roster next season as our backup shortstop/pinch runner.

One last thing, I'd like to thank Billy Koch for somehow having enough trade value left in him for the Sox to pull in a guy like Valdez from the Marlins. As much as I hated watching him blow save after save, it was nice he could net us Wilson Valdez.
Wilson Valdez has 2 walks and 18 strikeouts. Now I am no stathead, but I know that could be a problem. You want a patient hitter in the leadoff role so that the next few batters can see some pitches. Plus, the leadoff man needs to get on base at a decent clip so the RBI guys can drive him in. It looks like Valdez will need to learn to be a lot more patient before he will be a great leadoff hitter.

By the way, shortstop is primarily a defensive position (regardless of what statheads might think). Can someone that has seen Valdez play shed some light on his defensive skills?