Thread: Wes Whisler...
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2004, 09:54 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
In a system bereft of legit pitching prospects and depth at that position, yes. Sorry, but Syzmanski hasn't even had more than half a great NCAA season.

Whisler is producing on the mound in Class A just a couple months after finishing college. Not bad for being a "no talent," as you professed. I liked Syzmanski before the draft, i won't lie, but I still like Whisler's potential.
On the one hand you discount Syzmanski, saying he only had half a great college season. (Whisler's college career was less than sterling.) On the other, you're trumpeting Whisler based on 23 innings in A-ball. I don't understand it.

As far as system depth goes, what does it really matter? The Sox have wasted millions of dollars and countless premium picks in recent years building up the system's pitching depth and have Carl Everett to show for it. That does not cut it. Their track record says they either cannot identify pitching prospects or keep them healthy. It's silly to continually employ a failed strategy, right?