Thread: Wes Whisler...
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004, 11:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb1
Randar I don't disagree at all with your scouting report. Personally I just think it's important to emphasize that he lacks Prior's polish since I believe that MLB readiness is extremely underrated by many since many raw prospects with a ton of tools never develop the polish to pitch in the majors.

As far as allowing Whisler to pitch and DH, I think it's a stroke of genius. We're talking about a player that has to potential to do either with no clear stregth. I don't think it takes away from his ability to hit or pitch if he does both as a recently signed 22 year old in the low minors. Whatever we can do to give the organization the best idea of in which role he'll excell is highly valuable.
I don't disagree, and for the record, the only comparison I made to Prior was purely in his delivery and mechanics. I also stated that his release point floats around and he's inconsistent with his command. Someone asked for a description, and one of the best ways to do that is to comnpare parts of a player's game to a well-known player. I tried to add the caveats so people wouldn't go nuts on me, but it didn't stop them.

The short of things: He has the physical ability to do either, IMO, he probably has better potential as a pitcher, and should concentrate on it, but I don't mind him DH'ing in his first partial season to allow the Sox' staff to get a better look at him. IMO, both his development as a hitter and a pitcher has been retarded by trying to do both at such a high level. Hopefully they have him settled into one role next year.