Thread: Wes Whisler...
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004, 01:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Originally Posted by Randar68
He was considered a future first-round pick a year ago in the Cape Cod League both hitting and pitching very well. The Sox are DH'ing him on his off-days. He is likely to be a future pitcher, and has proto-type size, but just needs to refine his mechanics. However, he is an intruiging 1B prospect as a 6'5" LH'ed power hitter. Letting him do both will allow the scouting staff to get a better understanding and determination of his potential at both positions.
Randar I don't disagree at all with your scouting report. Personally I just think it's important to emphasize that he lacks Prior's polish since I believe that MLB readiness is extremely underrated by many since many raw prospects with a ton of tools never develop the polish to pitch in the majors.

As far as allowing Whisler to pitch and DH, I think it's a stroke of genius. We're talking about a player that has to potential to do either with no clear stregth. I don't think it takes away from his ability to hit or pitch if he does both as a recently signed 22 year old in the low minors. Whatever we can do to give the organization the best idea of in which role he'll excell is highly valuable.
Jeremy Reed Watch

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004