View Single Post
Old 07-20-2004, 04:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default my first norfolk tides game

After spending a much deserved day off at the beach, i decided to head out to harbor park, home of the norfolk tides. They were playing the durham bulls (mets AAA v. devil rays AAA) and was greeted to a nice little pitching gem by matt ginter perviously of sox fame. He had a bad 2nd inning but hunkered down, bowed his neck and pitched 5 shoutout innings after that. It was a good night and a couple of plays to the plate in the latter half of the ballgame really kept everyone in to it. I have a couple of questions that could not be answered at the game however. 1. How does the DH work in the minors? I thought that either they all use it or if the home team is a AL affiliate they would. The tides used one so the latter isn't it. 2. How do you score a throw to home from center that the catcher lets past him in a bang-bang play at the plate? I thought it would be an error on the catcher if anything but possibly no error at all. The score keeper ruled it an E-8. The throw was a gun, right on the money. the catcher let it go because the runner was bearing down on him. The hitter advanced to second on the play. Any rullings from the WSIers?

"I've thought about opening a bottle of champagne and pouring it on my teammates' heads. I don't care about my stats, just as long as we win. That gets us closer to my goal." C. Politte